This task involves the work with creating mockups for the experience people will have immediately after having been automatically subscribed to a conversation for the first time.
The experience being designed in this ticket should:
- Cause people to know when and how they will be made aware when someone responds in a conversations they've become subscribed to
- Cause people to know where and how they can adjust if/when they are automatically subscribed to future conversations they participate in
- Cause people to know they have the opportunity to customize the channel(s) (e.g. web, email) through which they are notified when someone responds in a conversations they're subscribed to
=== User stories
- As someone who has just been automatically subscribed to a topic for the //first time// (read: posted a comment in an existing conversation or started a new one):
-- **I want to** know that I will be made aware when someone posts a new comment in the discussion I just participated in/started, **so that** I have an accurate expectation for how I will know if someone responds to me.
-- **I want to** know how (read: the channels) I will be made aware when someone posts a new comment in the discussion I just participated in/started, **so that** I can know where to look for updates about new activity in conversations I'm subscribed to
-- **I want** to how I can adjust the channel(s) (e.g. web, email) through which I am notified when someone responds in a conversations I've subscribed to, **so that** I can continue to ensure notifications are being delivered to me through the channels I check
-- **I want** to know where I can adjust whether I am automatically subscribed to the future discussions I start and/or participate **so that** I can continue to ensure the notifications I receive are valuable to me
- Experiences should be designed for **mobile** and **desktop**
- The experience being designed as part of this ticket should not conflict with the existing `You have subscribed!` "popup" [i]
//To be created.//
=== Open questions
- [x] Meta: should this be implemented //within// and limited to `Discussiontools` or should this be implemented more generically so all Echo notifications can benefit from it?
-- For now, this implementation will be limited to the `DiscussionTools`
- [x] When/if should we implement a "first-run" experience for the moment where people are //manually// subscribing to a topic for the first time? How – if at all – should that experience impact/relate to this one?
-- For now, we will *not* be making any adjustments to the Manual Topic Subscriptions first-run experience.
-- Reason: we are assuming that once fully deployed, the majority of people will first be subscribed to a topic automatically.
- [ ] ~~For people who have not yet associated an email account with their Wikipedia account, what should should happen if they indicate they would like to receive new comment notifications via email?~~
-- We will revisit this question in T288178.
- [x] For people who have an email account associated with their Wikipedia account, BUT who have not confirmed said email account, what should should happen if they indicate they would like to receive new comment notifications via email?
-- People who meet these criteria will see the experience that will be designed and implemented in T288178.
- [ ] All `Open questions` are answered
- [ ] Mockups are posted that fulfill the `===Requirements` and `===User stories`