The Wikimedia Commons Android app allows users to upload pictures from their Android phone/tablet to Wikimedia Commons. GitHub page is [[ https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons | here ]].
The Wikimedia Commons App is to currently focused on upload. More and more, users are asking (as evidenced by Play Store feedback), people want to be able to also browse existing Commons images via the app. By letting users see other people's work, we believe the quality of uploads will increase.
Project schedule :
1. Get familiar with the scrolling list of recently featured images, test it and fix any bug
2. Add search button
3. Use the Mediawiki API to make the search button list results
4. Restrict the search results to images, or make sure no crash happen when opening exotic formats such as SVGs or sounds
5. Release (at least in alpha), write documentation, test, fix bugs
6. Modify the search button to also search for categories
7. In the same results list, also show categories
8. Implement the category activity, which shows the sub-categories and the images present in that category
9. Release (at least in alpha), write documentation, test, fix bugs
10. Bonus if time allows: modify the category activity to show the best images first. Ideally it should be recursive, so that the activity for Category:Butterflies shows good images in subcategories (images that have not been moved to a sub-category are usually not great images). To do that we could possibly query [FastCCI](https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:FastCCI) if we can find a way to make it work reliably.
[[ https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues/1221 | Here ]] is the related discussion on GitHub.
- Android SDK
- Android UI design
- Understanding of RxJava
- Basic knowledge of Wikimedia APIs
**Nice to have skills**
- Familiarity with Kotlin
- Startup guide for new contributors: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/wiki/Volunteers-welcome%21
- Talk with us: Mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org / Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/group/j9fB13Dhyqs0aHp02
- Some possible micro-contributions: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22beginner+friendly%22