The MediaWiki Stakeholder's Group is a User Group with a focus around supporting usage for third-party MediaWiki wikis. There's dozens of us!
According to [[ https://wikiapiary.com/ | Wikiapiary ]] there are more editors in 3rd party wikis than all of the English Wikipedia. That's a lot of people administering, developing, and editing wikis!
Join us for an in-person (and theoretically online) meeting to discuss our work around supporting these uses.
What can we do to increase awareness and support of third party usage from the WMF?
- This is the "What's in it for the foundation/movement" aspect.
- We're leaving developers on the table!
- No one has stars on their belly
- if they don’t know about these events (like the hackathon) they can't help.
- Maybe they don’t feel welcome?
- Make events a safe space for non-wmf developers
- This helps in growing the ecosystem and the MW platform
- This makes non-wmf MW developer note feel like an afterthought
What can we do to encourage outside enterprises to contribute their work back to MW and the community?
- Invite them to join us!
- The community is a way to find support
- Be part of a larger community - your bug reports, patches, extensions, gadgets, skins, etc can help others.
- There’s gold (or silver) in them that hills - the financial and perceptual benefits to contributing to open-source projects
Things we could tactically build (more ideas welcome)
- Improve documentation about installing and managing MW installations
- Host events around third-party mediawiki usage
- Build things (code and patches) that assist third-party use
- Improve extension management
- Improve extension documentation (such as on mediawiki.org)
- Hitcounter extension for 1.25
- search customizations (ask Chris about showing Categories on search results)
- Improving crawl rules
- Limiting access to reading a wiki
Learn more at the following links:
Google Hangout Link for remote folks: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/c196qa28sejfsde401b3u411b8k?authuser=0&hl=en