As a requirement for upgrading planet instances to stretch in T168490 we need to replace the [[https://packages.debian.org/jessie/planet-venus | planet-venus]] software because [[ https://packages.debian.org/stretch/planet-venus | doesn't exist in stretch ]] anymore.
The new alternative in stretch is [[https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rawdog | rawdog]].
Some work has already been done on puppetizing the rawdog setup.
It needs some work on design / CSS and a fresh logo.
Checklist on things re want to do before we make the switch:
-  Redesgn planet's ui. As the old ui is not available in rawdog + it's the perfect time to do the redesgn. (the redesgn is currently being done at https://planet-hotdog.wmflabs.org/ but needs some more adjustments and fixes to js)
-  Redesgn the logo by either using the updated meta logo which it's based on, or generate a new one.
-  Add a sidebar and logo to the redesgn ui.
-  Mobile optimised (Optional and should probaly happen after the switch)
-  Add a pretty footer with powered by.
-  Add when the content was last generated.
I carn't find any replacements for adding the subscriber to rawdog. So for now that's the only cons of switching. But if someone wants to try and add support that would be great.