== Problem ==
Wish to build a team of Wikimedia volunteer developers from Africa
* There are very few developers from Africa in the Wikimedia Foundation. We wish to increase on the number to fulfil the movements vision.
* People to add more features on MediaWiki projects and its extensions including APIs etc.. from Africa. For now, there is no project in mind because even if there was, there would be no team to develop the project so we would first want a community, the community contributes as volunteers to the movement, after they are strong enough, we could then think of projects and new features to build.
== Who would benefit ==
* First of all, this would benefit the African community in that they would be able to play around with MediaWiki and its extension (they learning how MediaWiki and development in the Foundation/movement works). Getting a developer feel of Wikimedia projects and maybe start thinking of a project to help the African community and the movement as a whole.
* With an African team of developers, we could come up with a project that could solve common problems within our continent under the Wikimedia Foundation. This projects we build to solve our common problems will go long way to help the African community (aligned with bullet 1).
* This will increase the level of awareness of the movement's activities in Africa and get more people involved in volunteering in the community's projects from Africa leading to an increase in the number of not only the editors but developers from Africa. Also, this will increase the improve on mediawiki for example in the Wikimedia foundation since more developers have added.
<more benefits are still to come>
== Proposed solution ==
We are currently a team of two ready to work with very experienced minds both in and out of the movement to make this idea a realised one. We intend to recruit volunteer developers and use the opportunity to champion the cause of the movement.
The plan so far is getting the following;
* A mailing list of volunteer developers in Africa to share ideas and topics of discussion with others to get them interested.
* Tap into the UG of different movements (GDG, Python group, Linux group etc...) in each country to see if we could get some people interested in contributing to the Wikimedia Foundation. A sum of these interested persons is a reasonable number to start off with.
* Use word of mouth in university institutions (to the science students/programming students) and see we could get them interested in the movement's activities so they contribute (this would be done per country and stats will be shared).
* Organise workshops and trained the interested people and excite them (with our knowledge) so that they can get a starting point to begin contributing.
* Per country, we would keep the energy active by nominating some volunteers to build developer communities in their various communities and bringing all these communities together, we would have a large community in Africa which are developer based.
* <more ideas to come>
== Team ==
[[https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Flixtey | Felix Nartey]] and [[https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Alang derick | Alangi Derick]]