Section translation is being enabled in a gradual way. With the initial enablement to Bengali, different parts of the UI were adjusted to support only that language. As we plan to enable three more languages (T290175: Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba), we want to check that the system will support those properly and coordinate any code changes (if needed) with the deployment of configuration changes.
Aspects to verify include:
- Target language selector. In Section Translation users should be able to select as the target language any of the languages where the tool is available, and none of the languages where the tool is not. More context in T273274
- Language selector entry point. When searching with the mobile language selector for any of the languages where Section Translation is available, an option should be available for translation. More context in T286645
The outcome for this ticket will be to find an answer to the following questions:
1. Is updating the target language variable the only change needed for the new languages to be supported in the above scenarios or additional changes are needed?
- Can the deployment of such changes occur at the same time as the enablement of the new wikis? If not, how to better coordinate it with our deployment process?
- Are there other changes we need to consider not covered by the above scenarios when expanding languages?
- How much of this we'll have to repeat for every new wiki we add support for?
# Considerations for the deployment
* [x] Remove old configuration variable `ContentTranslationMFLanguageSearchEntrypointTargetLanguages` ([[ https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation/+/719964 | 719964 ]])
* [x] Rename `SectionTranslationTargetLanguage` to `SectionTranslationTargetLanguages` which supports array. ([[ https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation/+/719557 | 719557 ]])
* [x] Add support for `SectionTranslationTargetLanguages` in Production configuration. ([[ https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/720982 | 720982 ]])
*  Remove `SectionTranslationTargetLanguage` from Production config. ([[https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/operations/mediawiki-config/+/724992 | 724992]])