Create a simple three step process for newcomers to follow to be ready to attend one of our hackathonsIf you want to be ready for the Wikimedia Hackathon 2017, here are three steps you can take to become more prepared!
STEP ONE: Review Documentation.
This is the main page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2017
There are 6 sub pages in total that you should review and read through all the links:
- Program: schedule of sessions and events, learn how to schedule sessions of your own & review our mentorship program.
- Venue & Vienna: Photos and maps of the venue, descriptions of the rooms, details about the hotel and city.
- Travel: General transportation and visa information
- Participants: an editable list of all the participants and information about each participant, different ways to volunteer at the event, our organizing team, our sponsors.
This is the main Phabricator work-board where you can view possible projects, sessions, skill shares and other hackathon activities.
This steps are not final, just a proposalSTEP TWO: Connect & Download
- [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ | Sign up for a Phabricator account by clicking "Log In" ]]
1) Review Documentation and Register
2) Become technically ready (instructions for getting on IRC - [[ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Instructions | Install an IRC client ]] or if you want a more simple approach you can learn how to use IRC in your browser. Browser instructions: go to wmhack on [[ https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#wmhack | webchat.freenode.net ]], Phabadd a Nickname (ex: "yourname"), Vagrantclick the check box to prove you're not a robot, Etc.)click "Connect" and you are in our channel!
- Install telegram on your phone and join our group #wmhack and/or [[ https://web.telegram.org/#/im?p=@wmhack. | use telegram in your browser ]] to receive conference updates and talk with other participants.
3) Meet others - [[ https://mediawiki-vagrant-image.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page | Install Mediawiki vagrant onto your computer ]] if you want our development environment.
STEP THREE: Meet & introduce
@srishakatux I would love some help thinking this through too! - Edit your personal information or contact at least one other participant by reviewing our [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2017/Participant_List | list of participants. :) ]]
- Introduce yourself or ask a question on IRC or in telegram
- Direct any remaining questions you have to https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2017/Participant_Lis
- Subscribe to any [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2530/ | hackathon related Phabricator ]] tasks you might be interested in.