* Affected components: MediaWiki core, all skins/extensions, WMF product, third-parties.
**[[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#Browser_support_matrix|Current browser support matrix]]**
Since January 2020, Wikimedia has not served traffic to browsers which do not support TLS 1.2 (T238038).
It doesn't really make sense to maintain Grade C support just for third party wikis that might be using very old browsers. Third parties can use MediaWiki 1.35 (LTS) until September 2023.
As mentioned in T262946#6512792, this means increasing our requirements to:
* **Firefox 27+** (released 2014-02); from 3+
** Versions from 24+ can be configured to use TLS 1.2, but this is a very advanced feature, and they may not have the correct ciphers.
* **Chrome 31+** (2013-11); from 1+
** 29+ has TLS 1.2, but not the correct ciphers
* **Safari 9+** (2015-09, also grade A); from 3+
** 7+ has TLS 1.2, but not the correct ciphers
* **Opera 18+** (2013-11); from 15+
** 16+ has TLS 1.2, but not the correct ciphers
* **iOS Safari 9** (2015-09, no change, already grade C);
** 5+ has TLS 1.2, but not the correct ciphers
* **Android browser 5-6x** ([[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Platforms | Chromium 81 WebView ]]) or Google Chrome for Android or other browsers like Firefox Android; from 3+
** Ed: Not sure if we need to list individual users of Chromium WebView
IE 9-10 would be untouched by this, as both versions can be enabled to support TLS 1.2.
Opera 12 would have been able to support it too, but has already fallen out of basic support.
Focussing on Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera as biggest of the mentioned ones here, stats are all access restricted at turnilo.wikimedia.org:
Page views Jan 2020-Feb 2021. Jan 2020 as the TLS change and restricted access took place around there.
| Firefox 3-26 page views
Firefox 3-26 between 2.1 and 5.4 million out of 3.6 to 4 billion total per weeks of 2021.
| Chrome 1-30 page views
Chrome 1-30 between 1.6 and 1.8 million out of 3.6 to 4 billion total per weeks of 2021.
| Safari 1-7 page views |
Safari 1-7 between 550k and 770k out of 3.6 to 4 billion total per weeks of 2021.
| Opera 15-17 page views |
Opera 15-17 between 2 and 17 (!!) views out of 3.6 to 4 billion total per weeks of 2021.