Upon detection it was determined that while the attacker’s attempts were unsuccessful there was a vulnerability that if properly leveraged could affect users. Because of the vulnerability it was decided to temporarily disable translation updates until countermeasures could be applied.
What information was involved?
No sensitive information was disclosed.
What are we doing about it?
The security team and others at the foundation have been working with translatewiki.net to add security relevant checks into the deployment process. While we currently have appropriate countermeasures in place we will continue to partner with translatewiki.net to add more robust security processes in the future. Translation updates will go out with the train while we continue to address architectural issues uncovered during the security incident investigation.
Director of Security, Wikimedia Foundation