This task is about introducing a notice to make people who have the `Discussion tools` beta feature enabled aware that the New Discussion Tool exists //and// know what to do to manage (read: enable/disable) the new tool. //More details in the `===Requirements` section below.//
The goal of this intervention is for people who have the Discussion tools beta feature already enabled to:
- Be aware that the New Discussion Tool exists //before// they start to create a new discussion topic
- Know what to do to try the New Discussion Tool
- Know what to do to use the existing `section=new` experience
- Know what to do to manage (read: enable/disable) the New Discussion Tool
T259943 implemented the `Discussion tools` beta feature. To make it easier for people to use new talk page features as they're available, we implemented the `Discussion tools` beta feature in such a way that this single preference will "govern" the behavior of several discrete features (e.g. Reply Tool to start, then the New Discussion Tool and lastly, Visual Enhancements). [ii]
In implementing the `Discussion tools` beta feature in the way described above, we created the potential for a scenario that would go something like this: [iii]
1. **Person** enables the `Discussion tools` beta feature to gain access to the Reply Tool, without fully knowing what "new tools" the beta feature description is referring to. [iv]
2. The New Discussion Tool is made available as a beta feature by way of it being added as a sub-feature "within" the `Discussion tools` beta feature.
3. At some point after "2.", **Person** initiates the process for starting a new discussion topic on a talk page on desktop (read: they click an `Add topic` or `New section` affordance) and could be some variation of surprised/confused/frustrated/etc. when they see the New Discussion Tool as opposed to the existing `section=new` form they were most likely expecting to see.
//⚠️ Note: the below are likely to change pending a decision on which of the approaches outlined above we move forward with.//
When the New Discussion Tool becomes available as a beta feature, the following should be true for people who have enabled the `Discussion tools` beta feature in `Spécial:Préférences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures`...
- When they initiate the `section=new` workflow **for the first after the New Discussion Tool is made available**...
-- They should be be made aware:
--- That a new beta feature for starting conversations on talk pages is now available //before// they are taken to the tool
--- What value/functionality this "new beta feature for starting conversations on talk pages" offers them (read: an in-line form for creating new topics).
--- That this "new beta feature for starting conversations on talk pages" is part of the broader project to improve talk pages.
-- They should be able to:
--- Decide to view the New Discussion Tool in once click
--- Decide to view the existing `section=new` form in one click
- When some decides to view the new Discussion Tool //or// view the existing `section=new` form...
-- They should know how and be able to
--- Disable or enable the New Discussion Tool by adjusting the new setting [vi] in [Special:Preferences > Editing > Discussion pages](https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A1ln%C3%AD:Nastaven%C3%AD#mw-prefsection-editing).
//Note: additional work will need to be done to implement a persistent affordance within the New Discussion and Reply Tools that creates a way for people to easily disable these tools in [Special:Preferences > Editing > Discussion pages](https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A1ln%C3%AD:Nastaven%C3%AD#mw-prefsection-editing). This work will happen in T270789.//
//@iamjessklein to post mockups here.//
- [ ] Mockups that implement what the `===Requirements` section describes are created and posted in the `===Designs` section above
- [ ] The mockups posted in the `===Designs` section above have been implemented
ii. Note: people are able to enable/disable features individually in `Special:Preferences`. //See: T270121 and T270119.//
iii. `Please note that over time new tools for interacting with talk pages will be added.` //See: https://w.wiki/rqK .//
iv. Thank you to @Tacsipacsi for noting this risk in T270119#6704032 which inspired us to create and prioritize work on this task.
v. By default, the tool will be enabled for people who have the `Discussion tool` beta feature turned on.