=== Problem ===
There has been some (followup) discussion in T268 //specifically// about the "Needs Volunteer" priority field value in Phabricator. As T268 is/was generally about the Priority field values and as all the other values are not debated, let's focus on "Needs Volunteer" here.
Several comments pointed out that using a name heterogenous to all the other priority levels, in lowest rank, and containing the "volunteer" word, is
* degrading/not nice/anti-engaging for volunteers: T268#787946, T268#840749, T268#847537, T417#4432
* logically weak ("1, 2, 3, 4, APPLE". APPLE > 1? APPLE < 1?): T268#785698, T268#847537, T417
* unable to convey meaning: T268#785759, T268#843635, T417#4432, T78617#853809
* actively disruptive of volunteer developers' workflow: T268#835928
* overlapping with the aim of keywords: T417#4432
The current priority level understandings are documented in [[https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management#Priority_levels | mw:Phabricator/Project management#Priority levels ]].
=== Options ===
1) Remove "Needs Volunteer" entirely and **merge** "Needs Volunteer" into "Low", if maintainers/developers in practice do not see a need to differentiate between "Low" and one level lower
** Use the [[ https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/need-volunteer/ | #need-volunteer ]] tag to signify the maintainers/developers are actively looking for a volunteer.
** Optionally convey the same meaning in another way like "Stalled, Needs Triage", to signify the report has not yet been prioritised/fully assessed.
2) **If** there is a need for differentiating:
** 2.1) **Keep** the status quo by keeping the current name "Needs Volunteer"
*** See above for disadvantages.
** 2.2) **Rename** to "Wishlist" to potentially avoid the confusion created by the word "volunteer" brought up.
*** Same logical issues as "Needs volunteer", see above.
** 2.3) **Rename** to "None". T78617#852409
*** Could both be interpreted as "This is not a priority" and "This has no priority set/decided yet" (which is "Needs Triage")
** 2.4) **Rename** to "Lowest".
*** Potentially derogatory for volunteer reporters who spent time to help making Wikimedia better but their task "only" receives the lowest available priority of all.
=== Data ===
* Tasks with //Open/Stalled// status and //Needs Volunteer// priority: 1331
* Tasks with //Open/Stalled// status and //Low// priority: 5909
* Actual configuration at https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-puppet/blob/a87adae3e33d725260a00b3b8e5e38c701180903/modules/phabricator/data/fixed_settings.yaml