Page MenuHomePhabricator
Paste P8476

May meeting logs
ActivePublic

Authored by rosalieper on May 5 2019, 5:04 PM.
DRINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5:00 PM meeting officially starts :)
5:00 PM welcome everyone to the AWMD irc meeting
5:01 PM here we discuss things related to contributions of code to mediawiki code and its extension. or generally to any wikimedia related software
5:02 PM → Eugene233 joined (uid268461@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-jeqskusprfimxzus)
5:02 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie Here is our agenda : https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220168
5:03 PM if there is no question I move on 👋🏿
5:03 PM great :D
5:04 PM next point =>> Overview of GSoC and Outreachy results
5:05 PM So any accepted student with us today?
5:06 PM AFAICT there was no accepted African in Wikimedia this year but last year we had 2. the results are not very cute but there is some positive change
5:07 PM we had many active students from Africa this year and that's great even if we not selected, we learnt a bunch of new things and stand for better chances in new round
5:07 PM :D
5:08 PM am done for the point. if anyone has something to add, have the floor ....
5:10 PM next point =>>> How to find beginner bugs and fix?
5:11 PM is there somebody with me in this channel ??
5:11 PM
<didicodes> Didicodes Some from Kenya got accepted for Outreachy
5:11 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie didicodes: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh great
5:11 PM love the news
5:11 PM
<didicodes> Didicodes Yeah
5:11 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie who is she?
5:11 PM
<didicodes> Didicodes Jerop Brenda
5:12 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie 😎 nice news
5:12 PM thanks for the updates
5:12 PM
<didicodes> Didicodes You are welcome
5:13 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie I will also like to carry a survey on how many applied this year and what they learnt to have some satistics that could be usefull for improvement
5:14 PM still to suggest the idea to the core team before execution. So no promises for now :)
5:14 PM next point =>>> How to find beginner bugs and fix?
5:15 PM some volunteers have asked manytimes how to find bugs and how to setup to fix them
5:16 PM not sure if they are present now.
5:16 PM This is a good link to search on: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/?project=PHID-PROJ-ufc7ddusqkgkur44zjnw&statuses=open()&group=none&order=newest#R
5:17 PM that is an advanced search form, you build the query by filling the form to get a task suitable for yourself
5:17 PM for beginner task, just add the tag 'good first bug' in the tag field of the form
5:18 PM for tasks specific to a project, add the project tag to the form and search
5:18 PM the above link gives all the tasks under AWMD project
5:18 PM Please any question?
5:19 PM → ammarpad joined (uid365287@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-nlynwlorlogznlqz)
5:21 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie once you have results for the search, select one task and read the description
5:21 PM you select by clicking on the task name
5:21 PM results for the search display below the form
5:22 PM → brendajerop joined (~Thunderbi@197.232.61.234)
5:22 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie if you feel like going in for the task, check the task tags you will see the projects the bug is found in
5:23 PM if you are not sure, leave your question as a comment on the task page(ticket)
5:23 PM someone will help :
5:23 PM :D
5:24 PM once you have the project name, find its documentation on mediawiki.org
5:24 PM and installation instructions
5:25 PM setup your environment and try to reproduce the bug if it is a bug. otherwise start working if it is an improvement
5:26 PM CFisch_remote → CFisch_NA
5:28 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie if you have questions or difficulties ping anybody you feel can be of help you, could be r054l13, xSavitar, africanhope, Zppix and many more :) or drop your question on any wikimedia channel
5:28 PM #wikimedia-dev-africa and #wikimedia=dev could be a good start
5:29 PM #wikimedia-dev, *
5:29 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ Pywikibot, Continuous-Integration-Config, Pywikibot-tests, Release-Engineering-Team (Kanban): Magul's quick tests doesn't run anymore - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T186208 (hashar) a:hashar→None Despite a first try at looking at pywikibot/core and attempting to run the test suite /...
5:29 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie Hi brendajerop congratulationsss of your selection
5:29 PM on*
5:30 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: Thank you so much
5:31 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie brendajerop: Feel free to share your project blogs on the mailing list. I will personally love to read them :)
5:32 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: Will do :)
5:33 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie So any one has something to add?
5:33 PM am moving to next point
5:34 PM next point=>>>> Some resources to share
5:36 PM So came acrose some nice opportunities and would like to share them
5:36 PM https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/
5:37 PM GSoD= Google Season of Docs
5:37 PM Wikimedia is a selected organization for this program
5:37 PM
<Zppix> r054l13: you pinged me?
5:38 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie Zppix: yeah but not needing a reply, no worries :)
5:38 PM
<Zppix> Ok
5:39 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie If you have some skills in technical writing, contribute to Opensource through GSoD
5:39 PM follow the link I sent above for more information
5:40 PM This may also help :https://developers.googleblog.com/2019/04/advance-your-career-with-google-africa.html
5:41 PM learn how o code under google scholarship.
5:41 PM For those not part of the meeting, I will share the links again on the mailing list
5:42 PM Any Auestions?
5:42 PM Questions*?
5:42 PM aah this keyboard :(
5:43 PM any comment?
5:44 PM Your comment may still be that 'r054l13 your agenda is great' :D
5:44 PM
<Zppix> I smell bias
5:45 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie would like to hear from you guys, feels like am alone. but yo can still ignore me if you like
5:45 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Am happy to know the steps to take as a new contributor.
5:45 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: Thank you for the resources. GSoD seems quite interesting
5:45 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie Zppix: on what?
5:46 PM jenniline: niceee
5:46 PM brendajerop: welcome
5:46 PM
<Zppix> r054l13: you saying your agenda is great (i was joking)
5:46 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie Zppix: ahh feeling better hahaha
5:47 PM So next point
5:47 PM =>>> How to improve on my coding skills as a volunteer dev?
5:49 PM The reason I included this in the agenda is because I believe many volunteers reason for contributing is to learn and that is good
5:49 PM ⇐ paulwiki quit (~paulwiki@154.0.26.6) Remote host closed the connection
5:49 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie But then how do I(as a volunteer) make that possible?
5:50 PM Firstly by being active**
5:51 PM Secondly by being Proactive**
5:51 PM the 2 walk together
5:52 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Xqt: [doc] Fix errors and warnings in script_wui.py documentation (1 comment) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/509432 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T187009) (owner: Dvorapa)
5:52 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie you won't learn much if you always in your conner looking at things hapening. contribute, make sugestions, volunteer for TODOs and expose negative impressions. all that will build the project and build us, me, you :)
5:53 PM → brendajerop1 joined (~Thunderbi@197.232.61.224)
5:53 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie give comments ask questions,
5:54 PM in each of those, there will be something new to learn
5:55 PM ⇐ brendajerop quit • brendajerop1 → brendajerop
5:56 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie I sent a mail on the mailing list about the wikimedia Code of Conduct committee needing new volunteers but I dont know how many applied to be part of the committee. I know just one person. but those are opportunities that expose to new experiences and possibilities to learn
5:57 PM now to improve coding skills specifically
5:59 PM It is more of practice makes perfect. keep coding to be a better coder. Don't know how I can say this better. This is what I was told and it is what I am sharing. The principle works :)
5:59 PM In other words always have a task at hand and you will always have questions to ask in the community and you will always have new ideas and you will learn more ofcourse
6:00 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ Pywikibot, Pywikibot-tests, Upstream: browseragents can not be installed - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T222959 (Xqt) >>! In T222959#5172755, @Dvorapa wrote: > No Then let remove that part
<r054l13> Rosalie In a community the best way to learn anything is being active. anyone can correct me if I am making a mistake here:)
6:03 PM That said we have touched all the agenda points.
6:03 PM if there is no comment and nothing more...
6:04 PM Thank you all for being part of this meeting
6:05 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: Thank you for hosting
6:05 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie I hope we learnt something new today :)
6:05 PM brendajerop: :D
6:05 PM I will send relevant link on the mailing list
6:07 PM brendajerop: could you send me the link to your project please
6:08 PM want to make some documentation
6:14 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Yes. Thanks I learned a lot. Thanks for the advice
6:15 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (PS2) Tombolano: Fix ordering by date and datetime fields in tables [extensions/Cargo] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/508959 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T222843)
6:15 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie jenniline: cool
6:16 PM
<brendajerop> r054l13: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T215682
6:16 PM
<r054l13> Rosalie brendajerop: Thank you
6:23 PM → m-alpha and math-alpha joined ⇐ brendajerop quit

Event Timeline

rosalieper created this paste.May 5 2019, 5:04 PM
rosalieper changed the title of this paste from May meeting Logs to May meeting logs.
rosalieper edited the content of this paste. (Show Details)May 11 2019, 9:27 AM