Page MenuHomePhabricator
Paste P8613

June Meeting Logs
ActivePublic

Authored by rosalieper on Jun 14 2019, 9:00 AM.
DRIIIIGGG!!!!
6:01 PM I can hear church bells from my window ;) it is time for the meeting. Let's do this!
6:02 PM
<mahveotm_> mahveotm Hi @rosalie good evening!
6:02 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Hello Everyone! and welcome Monthly IRC meeting for AWMD
6:02 PM Hi mahveotm_
6:03 PM If you haven't checked the agenda yet. you can find it here https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221822
6:03 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Hello
6:04 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Hi jenniline
6:04 PM → Dialo_ joined (uid321942@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ufxouccfsrhayjiz)
6:05 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie I imagine everyone is ready for the ride so I will move on with the first point. :)
6:06 PM first point on agenda =>> More on what to do to mentor GCI in wikkimedia.
6:06 PM
<mahveotm_> mahveotm rosalie: i have, thank you!
6:07 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie mahveotm_: welcome. The message is actually for everyone ;)
6:08 PM I recieved recently a few questions recently on that (More on what to do to mentor GCI in wikkimedia.
6:08 PM ) from 2 members and decided to share it during the meeting so that everyone can benefit.
6:10 PM First thing if you are interested in mentoring Google Code In in Wikimedia for next round. Save this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Code-in and have a look anytime you get a chance to
6:11 PM it will answer question like what is Google Code In, the aim of the program, The eligibility criteria, the prizes and previous years statistics. A global information
6:12 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Xqt: Handle closed_wikis as read-only (3 comments) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/517031 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74674) (owner: Dvorapa)
6:12 PM <oluwasegun> Oluwasegun Idowu Hello, good day guys.
6:12 PM I'm Oluwasegun from Lagos,Nigeria
6:13 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Then, When You understand what GCI is, you can checkout the GCI website for more info, like the period during which the program runs and all other information
6:13 PM Hi oluwasegun
6:14 PM oluwasegun: Nice to have you with us today, we are giving out some important point for preparing to be a mentor for next Google code In program.
6:16 PM oluwasegun: Feel free to ask any question any time
6:16 PM Same for @all
6:17 PM So as I was saying, Next thing is to checkout the GCI website for more info
6:17 PM <oluwasegun> Oluwasegun Idowu That's so nice
6:17 PM @rosalie I have subscribed to the link https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221822 and as well checked out the agenda for today's meeting, it's really great to be here
6:18 PM → brendajerop joined (~Thunderbi@197.232.61.199)
6:18 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Then, since we are not just interested in mentoring GCi but mentoring GCI in wikimedia,We should have a look at this very useful link https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors
6:19 PM oluwasegun: welcome :)
6:19 PM The link I just shared few seconds ago has the documented steps to mentoring GCI in wikimedia
6:22 PM You may want to create task you will mentor (but it is not a must, You can mentor tasks that you did not author)
6:22 PM tasks*
6:22 PM → brendajerop1 joined (~Thunderbi@197.232.61.209)
6:22 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Any question so far?
6:22 PM ⇐ brendajerop quit • brendajerop1 → brendajerop
6:22 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie any comment?
6:23 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline Yeah Thanks for the links they answer a lot of questions
6:24 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie jenniline welcome, Happy to have helped :D
6:25 PM Seems like I can move on
6:26 PM next point=>>On Going Outreach projects
6:27 PM there are 2 running Outreach programs in wikimedia presently(That I know): GSoC (Google Summer of Code) and Outreachy
6:29 PM If you are interested in knowing the selected students, their cool projects and if you wish to read their experiences, work progress from their blogs and reports,
6:30 PM check out this for outreachy selected applicants for this year: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_18
6:31 PM and check this for GSoC selected applicants for this year:https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2019
6:31 PM There you will find a link to their projects, project proposals and written blogs. Enjoy and share :)
6:32 PM so far nothing more to add on this point, except there is a question or a comment
6:35 PM ok cool :)
6:36 PM next point=> Updates on the Top contributors statistics
6:37 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Dvorapa: [IMPR] Deprecate requirements.txt (4 comments) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/516476 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193476) (owner: Dvorapa)
6:37 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Sorry this point sounds like I am gong to give updates but I actually want to ask for updates
6:39 PM jenniline: If I can recall you had to take over the task of updating this page. I see the month of may is kind of empty still. After the meeting we can plan some time and I help you out if you are facing any challenge or having questions concerning that. :) any time you are free
6:40 PM Or if you want to let it for someone this might be the good time to do it? so anothers can pick
6:40 PM This is the page sorry:https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T213581
6:40 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline I will love to perform the task
6:42 PM and Yes i need help and details.I will love to have guidance on carrying out the task
6:43 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie ok after the IRC meeting let have a chat and schedule a time so I answer your questions and worries
6:43 PM let me know if that is ok
6:43 PM
<jenniline> Jenniline yes that's okay
6:44 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie great
6:44 PM If there is no comment or Question I am moving :)
6:46 PM Next poin=>> How about automating some of what we regularly do? (Like mailing list mails, monthly statistics posts etc ...)
6:46 PM point*
6:47 PM → tybanash joined (uid315639@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-kgtuxiybzyvurkrj)
6:47 PM
<tybanash> Awah Nadege Hello
6:47 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie So as we all know, we have monthly IRC meetings and I send 2 mails every few days before the meeting
6:48 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (PS1) Xqt: showStatus prefix is only 5 chars long [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/517103
6:49 PM CFisch_remote → CFisch_NA
6:49 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie tybanash: Hi welcome, You may find it useful to have a look at the links up. Happy to have you today
6:49 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Dvorapa: Handle closed_wikis as read-only (2 comments) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/517031 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74674) (owner: Dvorapa)
6:50 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie I am thinking of automating the mails as it feel like I am doing work a robot should do. haha
6:50 PM
<tybanash> Awah Nadege Can't see the links , I just joined
6:50 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie I am bringing it up here to have points of views. if no objection, I will conclude an agreement
6:51 PM
<brendajerop> tybanash: They will be available later in the meeting logs here https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221822
6:51 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Again that is one example but I will be updating both at meeting and on the mailing list on the changes coming ahead
6:53 PM brendajerop: Thank you for sharing the link to the logs. Please note The logs are availabe only once the meeting is over, as I update them after meetings
6:53 PM
<brendajerop> rosalie: I think that's a great idea. Is there a specific time of the month when the monthly meetings occur?
6:53 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie So far any question?
6:54 PM brendajerop: Yes, second friday of every month
6:54 PM and the content of the mails are pretty almost always the same
6:55 PM automating it will make it possible for the mails to go out even when I am sick or unable to sent the mail
6:56 PM with that, I will move to the next point on Agenda.
6:57 PM We are left with just 4 minutes for the meeting but the floor is open now for =>Open Questions about technical contributions
6:58 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Xqt: [IMPR] Deprecate requirements.txt (3 comments) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/516476 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193476) (owner: Dvorapa)
6:58 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie If you ask a question we can't answer now due to time, We could keep it for next meeting and address it as an agenda point. Or better still I collect the questions and send out drafted replies on mailing list while waiting for next meeting to make it more lively.
7:01 PM If there is no question, still ok.
7:01 PM Time up.
7:01 PM
<wikibugs> Wikibugs v2.1, https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikibugs/ (CR) Xqt: Handle closed_wikis as read-only (2 comments) [pywikibot/core] - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/517031 (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74674) (owner: Dvorapa)
7:01 PM
<brendajerop> rosalie: Thank you for hosting :)
7:02 PM
<rosalie> Rosalie Thank you all for being part of this meeting and I hope you learnt something
7:02 PM brendajerop: :D my pleasure
7:03 PM I will update the logs for those you missed out something or came in late.
7:03 PM Feel free to ping me any time here or by mail with futher questions.
7:03 PM you are all welcome to stick aroung the £wikimedia-dev-africa channel
7:04 PM And have a nice weekend
7:04 PM #wikimedia-dev-africa*