I would like the extension:variables installed.
It is available at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Variables
It is rated as stable.
It allows creating local variables valid only in the current page.
The current use case is to define a long string to be used in over 100 templates as part of links inside a larger template page.
This extension will help alleviate constant ongoing problems in a frequently accessed and edited page. (Over 400 edits in the last month.)
- By using a local variable, it removes the problem of typos, very common in the page where it will be used. As well, it will minimize the problem of broken links, as many editors avoid typing the long string necessary to create valid links.
- It keeps this string local to the only page where it will be used, thus not polluting the template namespace, and avoiding potential name conflicts with other templates.
- The variable can be defined at the beginning, with a brief description to ensure that it's use is understood, so it becomes self-documenting where it is used.
- A shorter and more useful name can be chosen than for a template, as a template name would have to avoid ambiguity with other template pages.
- In the likely case that this string needs to be changed in the future, it can be done more easily, as it will be on the page where it is used.
- Although this is for use as part of a link, it could equally be used for other cases, as presented in examples on the extension page.