Jun 9 2016
Thanks for the timely response.
- As far as providers go, a peek at http://timetravel.mementoweb.org/about/ shows a current list that's already pretty impressive, including many nations' archives, the internet archive, and github! There are two browser extensions out to provide clients on Chrome, two more for Firefox, and of course there's always https://github.com/ukwa/mementoweb-webclient
- If the main obstacle is just that new versions of templates create changes to old versions of wikitext the solution is simple: just archive the rendered html rather than the wkitext. Even a pdf archive would be better than nothing. That's what the UK national archive does, and archive.is too. As I understand it, they don't do so for WP mainly because they are expecting that WP intends to do its own.
- Is this work really shut down for ever, or just stalled awaiting some action?
- Does this mean there will not be a deployed Memento extension on WP?
- Is there an alternative being pursued toward the same end?
Jun 2 2016
The above refers to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite_2016
May 16 2016
Blocking a user direct from the tool is bound to backfire on w:en and likely elsewhere. At most the tool should create a noticeboard post to draw local admin attention to the offending editor's repeated actions. The bulk of Plagiabot reporty gnoming should not require admin priviledges, but blocking users obviously would. A standardized action request to (e.g.) [[w:en:wp:AIN]] can bridge the gap.
Mar 27 2016
Mar 23 2016
At [[w:en:Template:Cite doi]] there are ~65k subpages of DOIs that are relevant to WP articles' citations. The template itself is deprecated for a number of reasons, but it might be a useful sampling to draw upon if it can be imported somehow.
Mar 22 2016
I just stumbled upon this after trying to kickstart something similar at the questionably named Meta:Talk:Reliability project
Feb 3 2016
Re the query from @Fhocutt on WikiProject integration, it comes down to the question of alerting the relevant concerned humans to an edit that needs human attention. The viable options may include:
Sep 25 2015
Thanks matmarex, there's discussion at [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#One_month_later.2C_still_can.27t_see_navboxes] too.
Sep 22 2015
Still not working for IE9/Win7-64 at en.wikipedia (logged in or not) as of 22 Sep.