The page on meta seems to propose some level of federated authentication with a 3rd party service along with sweeping adoption of this federated identity service by Wikimedia wikis. Actual implementation would likely require creation of one or more MediaWiki extensions (possibly with TechCom-RFC approval), many on-wiki RfCs for approval by various communities, and possibly WikiMedia Foundation Board level approval for deeper contractual interactions between Wikimedia and the 3rd party service.
From a WikiJournal User Group point of view, these would also be very interesting (technical wishlist). I'm pretty unfamiliar with Phabricator. What'd the best way to restart this? Especially:
- Request new users to a wiki to suppy an ORCID iD
- Provide a facility for a user to include their ORCID iD in their Wikimedia profile, through their preferences page
- Allow users to register for an ORCID through the signup page/ their preferences page
- Allow users to verify their ORCID and associate it with their Wikimedia identity
- Allow users to sign in to ORCID with their Wikimedia logon (probably the most difficult)