The intent of this task is for @srishakatux and @Miriya52 to organize an information session around GSOC/Outreachy for prospective Wikimedia students on March 14th at 9:00 am PST. This session will be broadcasted live and the participants will be able to watch the video on youtube and participate in discussion via chat.
Anna compiled the survey responses up to response 83.
Number of registrants ~ 80 so far
93% of registrants from Asia (primarily India) with a handful from US, Europe, and Africa.
Most popular question: How are proposals selected? What are you looking for in an intern?
Other top questions:
- What communication channels to reach mentors? Why is my question not getting responded? How do I get setup?
- Description of available projects. What skills required?
- Timeline for program, during application, selection, and internship
From these survey responses, I think a topic that can be included here is:
- For those not selected, how can they increase their chances for next round? How can beginners prepare to be ready for application next round?
- Promote about the session on the GSOC 2017 MW page, and through MW twitter/ facebook channel
- Recruit 1-2 mentors who would be willing to participate
- Anna, and Srishti to do planning on Monday, compile the questions addressed by students in the sign-up form, etc.
- Send reminders to participants 24 hours prior to the event