Name : Kamakshi Suri
Time zone : Kolkata,INDIA, UTC+5:30
Email : email@example.com
IRC username : kamsuri
Location : Delhi, India
Working hours : 07:00pm to 01:00am(workdays) and 12:00pm to 10:00pm(weekends ) [Indian Standard Time]
The main objective of this project is to ease out the workflow required to upload images released by GLAMs to Wikimedia: Commons. It also aims at overcoming the problem of batch upload due to which multiple irrelevent images gets uploaded, as user does not intend to do manual uploading of each image. This project aims at building a platform from where users can upload a single or a small set of images at the same time to Wikimedia: Commons through a well structured process and in minimum possible time. This project will also deliver a robust set of APIs to support integration on GLAM’s end.
- Designing a precise frontend and backend design.
- Set up front end for the platform
- Coding upload script
- Setting up a structure on wikimedia: commons
- Designing of metadata-mappings
- Working on date parsing, feedback, file title generator and a few more functionalities.
- Connecting with communities.
- Writing user documentation
- Deployment of framework on Toollabs
May 4, 2017 – May 30, 2017
This pahse will include community bonding along with investigation and finalizing tool design.
- Study the requirements of the project to more depth to have a more clear scenario and discuss them with mentors.
- Study already existing tools for uploading images to Wikimedia: Commons which will allow to compare different techniques and methods to achieve same goal.
- Getting Toollabs access and trying it a bit to understand its working properly which will help in deployment.
- Learning more about metadata fields and various techniques to fetch them.
- More Investigation on the needs of GLAMs to design our tool accordingly.
- Preparing Phabricator tasks and categorizing the project into multiple phases.
- Design proper workflow along with finalizing precise design for frontend and backend.
Minimum Viable Product(MVP)
The minimum viable project aims at completing the following tasks before the end of June. The following are the tasks:-
- Designing simple UI of the platform.
- Tool to generate template for upload file using metadata mapping of selected GLAM.
- Coding an upload script in a proper working condition.
Week 1 (June 1 – June 7)
In the initial week, i will be focusing on the working of the following functionalities:-
- Setup a quick and simple UI
- Identify selected GLAM from the hash table
- Call to GLAM’s API and getting API key
Week 2 (June 8 - June 14)
This week will include dealing with following aspects:-
- Selection of image(s)
- Dealing with Licenses
- Writing user documentation and testing the code designed.
Week 3 (June 15 – June 21)
This week will focus on the following:-
- Getting URL of image
- Download image and check if it already exists
- Collecting tags and generating filename for the image.
- Build final template to upload from metadata mappings
Week 4(June 22 -June 28) - Week 5(June 29 -July 4)
This would be the final phase of coding upload script.
- Upload file using Oauth permissions.
- Testing and documenting of upload script.
- Deployment of MVP on Toollabs
- Writing user documentation and testing the MVP.
By the end of June, Minimum Viable Product is completed and is tested.
Week 6(July 5 -July 11) - Week 7(July 12 -July 18)
From July onwards i will start working on Core extensions
- Setting up a structure on wikimedia: commons, creating some categories and sending proposals to a few communities.
- Designing a few mappings along with default functionalities
- Testing those mappings with our upload script
Week 8(July 19 -July 25)
- Connecting with communities who seems interested.
- Working on feedback to add something more to default functionalities.
Week 9(July 26 -Aug 1) - Week 10(Aug 2- Aug 8)
- Designing a few more mappings along with default functionalities.
- Testing those mappings with our upload script.
- Working on improving the front end.
Week 11(Aug 9 -Aug 15)
- Completing user documentation.
Week 12(Aug 16 -Aug 22) - Week 13(Aug 23- Aug 30)
- This phase will involve rigorous testing and making the required changes. And fix subsequent bugs encountered.
- At the end of the internship program the Final report is submitted for evaluation.
|Tasks to be completed||Timeline|
|Community Bonding Period, get better understanding of the project, exploring existing tools, get familiarized with Toollabs and get its access , prepare workflow and precise design layout for frontend and backend.||04/05/17-30/05/17|
|Setting up a simple UI along with Coding upload script in a proper workable condition||01/06/17-28/06/17|
|Testing MVP and deployment of MVP on Toollabs (Phase 1 evaluation)||28/06/17-04/07/17|
|Setting up structure on Commons, Designing metadata mappings along with default functionalities.||05/07/17-18/07/17|
|Connecting with communities and working on feedback||19/07/17-25/07/17|
|Designing a few more mappings and improve the front end. (Phase 2 evaluation)||31/07/17-08/08/17|
|Completing user documentation||09/08/17-15/08/17|
|Testing and updating Deployment||16/08/17-22/08/17|
|Final Report Submission (Final evaluation)||23/08/17-30/08/17|
As MediaWiki uses Phabricator which is a set of powerful tools used for managing bugs and tasks, I also intend to use it for tracking bugs, features. It is also helpful for getting feedback from people who are a part of the organisation.All bugs and features will have tasks linking to the project, which will allow easy tracking and monitoring.
The code base will also use Git for reviewing and managing workflow.I'm comfortable with using Git for project development and management.
I can be contacted on email or IRC, also I intend on using my new blog for sharing my experience while working on the project.I will try to weekly update my blog by writing new posts.
I believe IRC and Mailing lists are great place to seek help.It would also be great to get in touch directly with my mentors via email if possible.
- I'm 19 year old Junior student from Netaji Subhas Institute Of Technology pursuing Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Sciences.
- I enjoy working on open source technologies and love to contribute.
- I like to work with new technologies and explore new areas. I have a good experience of working in teams.
- It is always a learning experience to understand practical development at large scale. I also enjoy working on competitive programming problems and learning algorithms.
- Micro-Task : T161328, Upload on commons
- Works as Director Of Web Operations at CSI NSIT.
- Worked as Front end designer at Ecounsellors.in.
- Academic Courses : Object oriented programming, Algorithm Design, Operating systems, Web technologies
Online-Treasure-Hunt is a web app for online treasure hunt.
Worked on developing Webserver and dashboard for a disasater management android app called Survive.
Face-Recognition Tool is a simple python script which detects faces in an image.
Hospital-Hacks is an interface made to reduce the gap between hospitals and the patients.
-Frameworks and Libraries: jQuery, Bootstrap
-Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
-Tools: Git, Adobe Photoshop
-Database : MySql