This is analogous to T195049: Remove animations from jquery.makeCollapsible
jquery animations are suboptimal (slow). There are also several known issues with our current animations like:
- T137541: Toolbar drawer isn't clipped when collapsing
- In some situations, the height of the advanced toolbar would be set to 0 by the animation, even though it was visible. This cause the editarea to extend underneath the toolbar.
Ideally we'd at least want to use CSS animations/transitions, but maybe we just don't need this at all.
- animations in general have never been that well liked
- CSS animations for rollup/rolldown of inconsistent height elements (tab panels) of which the visibility is switched between the panels, is not really achievable in pure CSS
- Why invest a lot of time in fixing this on this old WikiEditor