When creating the first version of integraality, I added the grouping-link feature for feature-parity with the Videogames project: we were already maintaining Listeria-based lists of « games published on platform X » at , so it made sense to link to these lists.
As these pages were named something like [[/Lists/Platform/X]] (eg [[/Lists/Platform/Dreamcast]], it was easier to create the links by creating internal links, concatenating the prefix (as passed through grouping_link) to the English label of the item.
Using the (English) labels has some advantages:
- It keeps the links readable, which is nice in Watchlists etc. and when making index pages using PrefixIndex
This has the following drawbacks:
- When labels are changed, links are changed (just last week the label for “USA” was changed [then reverted] >_>)
- Users may want to use non-English labels
- Users may want to interface with other 'tools' (in the widest sense), which most likely will work with Qids
- There might be two elements with the same label (eg Q1490 vs Q7473516)
So, we probably want to extend/change some behaviour − but how.
- [status quo] Only support en-labels
- Support any <xx> labels
- Only support Qids
- Support both en-label and Qids
- Support any <xx>-labels and Qids
Second question: these are now internal links. Do we want to support external links? The use case for this is to link to tools (eg Scholia) ; however tools running in Cloud Services can be accessed using internal links, eg [[toolforge:scholia/publisher/Qid]]
(Once this is decided, we will have to come up with a configuration format for it as well).