Wikipedia’s automatic citation generator relies on Citoid to extract citation metadata from web sources. However, these metadata are sometimes incorrect or incomplete.
Web2Cit is a tool under development to collaboratively define procedures to extract basic citation metadata from web sources, requiring much less technical skills than those needed to write a Zotero translator.
In this session for Web2Cit early adopters we will show you how to use the current features of this tool to improve metadata extraction from the web sources that you or your community usually work with (T308452).
- When?: Friday May 20th, at 4 PM UTC.
- Where?: "Localization + Small Wikis" room
- Username for contact: @diegodlh & @Scann
- Session Duration: 50min
- Language of session: English, but you may use Web2Cit with web sources in any language!
- Prerequisites: Knowing some XPath and regular expressions may be useful (but not mandatory).
- Good for newcomers?: Yes!
Remember bringing a web source you'd like to work with (preferably a local newspaper), or pick one from our list of problematic URLs (make sure that it's still not working OK). Note that Web2Cit does not support PDF files.
You may also check our introduction guide beforehand!