While working with the gwtoolset role in vagrant, i noticed that gwtoolset wasn’t accepting metadata sets whose mediafile URLs contained redirects. this is the same issue that is currently being experienced on commons beta; see bug 70124.
In the gwtoolset role, i was able to create a workaround by adding a defined check for CURLOPT_REDIR_PROTOCOLS and setting it to 182, the value i found in my local dev environment. this allowed gwtoolset to follow redirects in URLs and continue processing the metadata set.
In irc, bryan davis found this file in the hhvm repo and feels that this is where the issue should actually be addressed: https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/blob/master/hphp/runtime/ext/curl/ext_curl.cpp.
until the original file is fixed, i’d like to leave the work around in the gwtoolset role so that the vagrant and commons beta environments will allow gwtoolset to work with metadata sets that include redirect URLs.