Brion will be meeting Jake & Roger at IA this month (October 2015) to talk about a simplified pipeline for importing video from IA, which will probably be dependent on them setting up high-quality WebM derivative files on their end.
Current status as of yesterday's update call:
- I have done initial work on an upload-to-stash/convert/save-back pipeline for uploaded files to be processed by internal or external service before finalization
- could be used internally to, say, convert .docx to .odt or other such things too
- there's interest from IA in getting stuff from us with good metadata, which will be affected by structured metadata stuff in future
- even if we decide against using IA as upload-time conversion service, mirroring media data would be of great interest and deserves more exploration for keeping metadata synced etc
- once prototype's closer to public-testable we'll work out the WebM details
Should have patches ready for gerrit in a couple weeks, and moving my demo from a broken local VM to labs.
This task has been assigned to the same task owner for more than two years. Resetting task assignee due to inactivity, to decrease task cookie-licking and to get a slightly more realistic overview of plans. Please feel free to assign this task to yourself again if you still realistically work or plan to work on this task - it would be welcome!
For tips how to manage individual work in Phabricator (noisy notifications, lists of task, etc.), see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T228575#6237124 for available options.
(For the records, two emails were sent to assignee addresses before resetting assignees. See T228575 for more info and for potential feedback. Thanks!)