As a Wikipedia.org portal page visitor I want to know, at a glance, what the sister project links are all about so I can make an informed decision before clicking on any of the links.
As a Product Manager, I want to provide Wikipedia.org portal visitors with a short but descriptive defintion of what to expect when clicking onto a sister project link. This will help to promote awareness of the sister wiki projects while increasing the clickthrough rate of the links and decreasing the overall page bounce rate (visitors who leave the page without taking any action).
Note: These links are sometimes referred to as 'other projects' and are typically found at the bottom of all portal pages and have their own individualized version of descriptive text, as well as alignment, display and placement on the portal page. On some of the portals, this descriptive text is also localized for the visitor's browser language preference.
The following details the new testable display of the Wikipedia.org sister project links:
- a short textual introduction to Wikipedia will be on the left hand side
- copy: "Wikipedia is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation (link: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home), a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects"
- also display:
- a stylized wikimedia icon linking to: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home using the guidelines listed here but with a new color schema (see this comment for more information)
- and also display a three column, four row listing of the sister wiki projects, with their respective icons, descriptive text and links (see attached image). The exact wording of the descriptive text will be reviewed prior to working on this ticket.
- Commons: Freely usable photos & more https://commons.wikimedia.org/
- Wikibooks: Free textbooks https://www.wikibooks.org
- Wikiversity: Open course materials https://www.wikiversity.org/
- Wikisource: The free library https://www.wikisource.org/
- Wikivoyage: Free travel guide https://www.wikivoyage.org/
- Wikinews: Free news source https://www.wikinews.org/
- Wikiquote: Free quote compendium https://www.wikiquote.org/
- Wikispecies: Free species directory https://species.wikimedia.org/
- Wiktionary: Free dictionary https://www.wiktionary.org/
- Wikidata: Free knowledge base https://www.wikidata.org/
- MediaWiki: Free & open wiki application https://www.mediawiki.org/
- Meta-Wiki: Our community site https://meta.wikimedia.org/
- The short descriptive text for the sister project links will be in English for this test.
- If this test, in combination with other portal tests, goes well we'll look at localizing the descriptive text language for portal visitors as a future task.
Note: This test is not meant to decrease the click-through rate of the sister project links, but to add in descriptive and interesting words that can be easily understood by an English language reader on what the sister project links are about and to hopefully increase the amount of clickthroughs to the sister projects.