Page MenuHomePhabricator

Decommission all old mediawiki appservers in eqiad
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

The old mediawiki appservers should be easily subsided by the new ones we have installed and pooled in the last month.

The full list is:

  • mw1001-16 (jobrunners)
  • mw1018-25, mw1091-1113, mw1149-1151 (appservers)
  • mw1114-mw1148 (apis)

This will be done progressively for each cluster.

Event Timeline

Joe created this task.Jul 5 2016, 1:30 PM
Restricted Application added subscribers: Zppix, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJul 5 2016, 1:30 PM

Change 297396 had a related patch set uploaded (by Giuseppe Lavagetto):
jobrunners: remove dhcp entries for mw1001-16

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/297396

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Southparkfan. · View Herald TranscriptJul 5 2016, 1:43 PM

Change 297396 merged by Giuseppe Lavagetto:
jobrunners: remove dhcp entries for mw1001-16

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/297396

Joe updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 5 2016, 1:47 PM
Joe added a subscriber: Cmjohnson.Jul 5 2016, 1:48 PM

@Cmjohnson mw1001-16 are practically decommissioned and just need to be deracked before I remove them from DNS.

As more machines are coming in the next week, do you prefer to wait for me to finish decommissioning all the servers in a rack and assign a ticket to you then?

elukey added a subscriber: elukey.Jul 5 2016, 1:53 PM

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-07T08:51:22Z] <_joe_> removing all old servers from the appservers pool but the canaries (T139353)

Change 298281 had a related patch set uploaded (by Giuseppe Lavagetto):
mediawiki: remove the inactive appservers from conftool-data, dsh

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/298281

Change 298282 had a related patch set uploaded (by Giuseppe Lavagetto):
puppet: remove all references to the decommissioned appservers

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/298282

Change 298281 merged by Giuseppe Lavagetto:
mediawiki: remove the inactive appservers from conftool-data, dsh

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/298281

Change 298282 merged by Giuseppe Lavagetto:
puppet: remove all references to the decommissioned appservers

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/298282

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-11T15:06:55Z] <elukey> removing mw114[0-8] from service via conftool as first decom step (T139353)

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-12T07:49:02Z] <elukey> removing api servers mw113[0-9] from service via conftool as first decom step (T139353)

Joe triaged this task as Low priority.Jul 14 2016, 7:47 AM

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-14T07:55:37Z] <elukey> removing api servers mw112[0-9] from service via conftool as first decom step (T139353)

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-14T08:01:49Z] <elukey> removing api servers mw111[4-9] from service via conftool as first decom step (T139353)

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-14T08:03:34Z] <_joe_> removing appservers mw1018-25 from service via conftool for decommissioning (T139353)

Next step for mw1114-mw1148 is to wait until next week before proceeding any further (better safe than sorry).

Mentioned in SAL [2016-07-27T08:43:55Z] <elukey> Decomissioning mw1018-25 (T139353)

Change 301342 had a related patch set uploaded (by Elukey):
Remove references of mw1018->1025 decom appservers

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/301342

Change 301342 merged by Elukey:
Remove references of mw1018->1025 decom appservers

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/301342

elukey updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 27 2016, 3:46 PM

Change 301549 had a related patch set uploaded (by Elukey):
Remove references of decom api servers mw1114->mw1148

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/301549

Change 301549 merged by Elukey:
Remove references of decom api servers mw1114->mw1148

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/301549

All done in https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/appservers-decom, last step is to remove DNS entries.

elukey updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 28 2016, 11:35 AM
Joe closed this task as Resolved.Jul 28 2016, 1:30 PM

Task opened for physical decom (including DNS entries cleanup): https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T14152