Scap3 provides mechanism to deploy configurations from templates. Moving to scap3 for deplyoing configuration would provide a nice decoupling between application, configuration and puppet. This is required to modify logging level for Kartotherian. It would also greatly simplify the testing of the new postgresql tiles storage (T147223).
I'm thinking about how to deploy this in nice steps with sufficient testing as we don't have a test environment yet. My idea so far:
- manually create /etc/kartotherian/config-vars.yaml on maps-test2001
- merge the configuration change to kartotherian-deploy (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/321376)
- deploy it only on maps-test2001 (scap deploy-local)
- test / check / compare new config to old one, ...
- disable puppet on all maps servers
- merge the puppet side of the change (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/321374/)
- run puppet on maps-test2001
- test, check, ...
- run puppet on all maps servers
- deploy kartotherian on all maps servers
@Yurik does this look good to you? Can we try to deploy that on Monday 21st?
Test deployment on maps-test2001 done, with manually generated config-vars.yaml file. The part in the kartotherian-deploy repo seems to be working just fine, diff shows only minor formatting differences with current config file. Changes to kartotherian-deploy repo have been reverted for the moment.
The full test will be during actual deployment, with the puppet changes as well, but I understand those much better than I understand the scap3 part.