David Richfield (subscribed) and I are co-organizers of the Wikimania 2018 scholarship application process. In our last meetup we considered to have some minor changes to the application form which are as follows:
- Add questions
- Under "Please indicate whether or not you would like your information shared with other, independent Wikimedia movement organizations." add a new question - “Some Wikimedia movement organization proceed with the results of the international Wikimania Scholarship Committee results, some will create their own jury process. In the second case, do you intend to apply for funding there, too? If so, we will work with the organisation in question to arrange the best solution." - yes/no
- In place of existing "If you have submitted or will submit a presentation, please provide a link to your presentation or proposal title:" add question - "What knowledge matters to you that is still missing in the Wikimedia movement? Who has been left out? What are some ways you might participate at Wikimania to help address this?" - textarea
- Change text:
- “Tell us about your involvement in your home wiki or the broader Wikimedia movement. What have you built or contributed to in order to improve your wiki or community? Have you lead or organized any of these activities?” changed to “Tell us about your recent involvement in your home wiki or the broader Wikimedia movement. What have you built or contributed to in order to improve your wiki or community? Please indicate which of these activities took place in the last 12 months.”
- “What’s something great that happened as a result of these activities?” changed to “What’s something interesting that happened as a result of these activities?”
- “Active contributor to a Wikimedia project (e.g. Wikipedia, Commons, Wikisource), with at least 50 contributions (edits)” changed to “Active contributor to a Wikimedia project (e.g. Wikipedia, Commons, Wikisource, Wikidata)”
- Aesthetic change:
- Enlarge textareas for “involvement”, “contribution”, and “experience” - enough space for at least 500 characters. And indicate this using the placeholder text perhaps.
- Remove questions:
- "Will you submit or have you submitted a presentation for Wikimania 2017? (Call for Participation)"
- "If you have submitted or will submit a presentation, please provide a link to your presentation or proposal title:"
- New intro text:
This is the application for sponsorship to attend Wikimania 2018, the annual international conference centered on Wikimedia projects. Awardees will receive a scholarship which will cover conference registration fees, hotel, and roundtrip travel to Wikimania in Cape Town, South Africa, July 18-22, 2018. Applications may be submitted in any language, but every applicant must provide evidence of English language abilities that are at a level which would enable them to participate in Wikimania, a conference which is primarily conducted in English. Sufficient English abilities could be demonstrated in the application itself or elsewhere. This is not a scholarship for university study. Applications not obviously related to the conference will be discarded. Please carefully consider your financial needs before applying for a scholarship to attend Wikimania. There are limited funds available and many applicants do not have the financial means to attend Wikimania without this opportunity. Thank you. Please note that if you need more then 10 minutes to complete this application, please draft your answers in a text editor, reload this page and then copy-paste your answers into corresponding fields before submitting. This application may give an error ("Missing or invalid CSRF token") if it is open for more then 15 minutes before submitting. The deadline to apply is XXXXXX UTC.
David must confirm that everything is correct before we can proceed here. Thanks for your patience and help!