Page MenuHomePhabricator

Whatlinkshere doesn't reflect changes in templates
Open, LowPublic

Description

Author: AndrewHowse

Description:
When disambiguating links to disambiguation pages, whatlinkshere doesn't reflect changes to transcluded templates for long periods, e.g. several days. To the best of my recall, this hasn't always been the case.
For example, Special:Whatlinkshere/Defender on en.wiki list many pages on which Template:Serbia-footy-defender-stub is transcluded, even though that template no longer links to Defender, since 12/31/08.

Details

Reference
bz17170

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Low.Nov 21 2014, 10:28 PM
bzimport set Reference to bz17170.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
demon added a comment.Jan 27 2009, 2:46 PM

Job queue says 1.2mil entries in it right now. I'm inclined to think they're in that queue somewhere, and just haven't been processed yet.

But should it take over a month? In less than a minute, the Job Queue went down from 1.2 mil to 1 mil; this should mean that anything in the job queue should be gone within about 6 minutes.

(In reply to comment #2)

In less than a minute, the Job Queue went down
from 1.2 mil to 1 mil; this should mean that anything in the job queue should
be gone within about 6 minutes.

That was probably an illusion. The figure on Special:Statistics is a rough estimate of the real figure, it depends mainly on the db slave you're hitting. en.wikipedia currently uses about 7 slave servers, so you can very well get 7 totally different values, when you reload Special:Statistics a few times.

What would be a reasonable time frame for the queue to be completed?

Nx.devnull wrote:

I can confirm this bug. I tested this on my home wiki which doesn't have memcached, a wiki which does and where I was able to run runJobs.php to ensure it's not in the job queue, and MediaWiki.org where the job queue was 0 according to statistics.

What I did:
create http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nx/backlink
create a template without the link: http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=User:Nx/template&diff=prev&oldid=303631
Put this template on a page: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nx/test

Then I added a link to User:Nx/backlink to the template: http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=User:Nx/template&diff=next&oldid=303631&

After this, whatlinkshere still only shows the template, and not the page it is included on: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/User:Nx/backlink

This only happens when $wgMainCacheType = CACHE_MEMCACHED; setting it to CACHE_NONE; results in immediate updates to whatlinkshere.

I also checked the database while doing this. When I changed the template, the page that transcluded it did not get added to the pagelinks table until I edited that page. Purging the page did not work, but a null edit (that doesn't get saved as a separate revision) did.

Nx.devnull wrote:

While looking around in the code, I found out that in RefreshLinksJob2::run the variable $start had a value equal to the article id that links to the template, while $end was 0.

Because the sql query conditions are

"tl_from >= '$start'",
"tl_from <= '$end'",

(this is MW 1.14, but MW 1.15's BacklinkCache::getLinks has a similar sql query), this resulted in no rows being returned, instead of the one row that should be returned. I fixed this and now it works.

happy.melon.wiki wrote:

(In reply to comment #6)

(this is MW 1.14, but MW 1.15's BacklinkCache::getLinks has a similar sql
query), this resulted in no rows being returned, instead of the one row that
should be returned. I fixed this and now it works.

Fixed how? Do you have a patch?

Nx.devnull wrote:

Actually, I was wrong, BacklinkCache:getLinks looks correct:

if ( $startId ) {
$conds[] = "$fromField >= " . intval( $startId );
}
if ( $endId ) {
$conds[] = "$fromField <= " . intval( $endId );
}

(I did something similar to MW1.14)
and now it works on both MediaWiki.org and my MW1.15 test wiki. This is confusing

Another thing that may or may not be related: putting categories on the doc subpage of a template (that's included on the template using {{documentation}}), does not update the category membership of the page. See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Nx/template2 and http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Test

demon removed a subscriber: demon.Aug 23 2015, 4:06 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptAug 23 2015, 4:06 PM
Meno25 removed a subscriber: Meno25.Feb 22 2016, 6:01 PM
Wurgl added a subscriber: Wurgl.Dec 12 2019, 7:09 PM

Another case:

disambiguation page https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkelnkemper include another disambiguation page https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Winkelnkemper and the linklist of https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Winkelnkemper_(Politiker) does not show a link to the first one (with just the family name).

The linklist:

The disamb. page for the family name was edited on 21:45, 20. Jul. 2019 with revision id 190597183
The disamb.page for the full name was edited a minute (or so) later: on 21:46, 20. Jul. 2019‎ with revision id 190597210

This bug is nasty, please take a look.

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Liuxinyu970226. · View Herald TranscriptDec 12 2019, 7:09 PM