Page MenuHomePhabricator

Bot changed a link that works
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

InternetArchiveBot changed a link that actually works. See https://sv.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lars_Frisk&action=history The point in the biography of Lars Frisk is to use the same webpage archived at TWO different times, to show the succession of chairmanship in an organization. This means that exactly those two archived dates are to be used, and no other dates. I have experienced this issue before, and to try to avoid it I used the code {{cbignore}} in the Lars Frisk article. However, that obviously didn't work. Is there any other code to use?

And some feedback regarding my way getting here. I followed a link at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:InternetArchiveBot leading to https://tools.wmflabs.org/iabot/index.php?page=reportbug Then I discovered I must have an account at Phabricator, which I honestly have no interest of at all. I only want to report the above bug. So I registered, but still couldn’t use wmflabs. Now I’m submitting my report here, not knowing if this is actually the correct place. As a Wikipedia creator I have no interest in getting to know the Phabricator page.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application assigned this task to Cyberpower678. · View Herald TranscriptJun 6 2018, 11:46 AM
Restricted Application added subscribers: Cirdan, Cyberpower678. · View Herald Transcript

Did you try to correct the issue using the IABot Management Interface? All that is required is a Wikipedia user account.

False positive and negative detections are inevitable in any link checking system, but the Management Interface allows every user to update and thereby refine the database the bot uses.

OT question is it possible to translate the IABot Management Interface page to swedish? I have seen other solutions that also had a tool for translating a solution...?

I feel the tool will be better received if Swedish Wikipedia could report problems on a page in Swedish

Cirdan added a comment.EditedJun 6 2018, 1:37 PM

@Salgo60 Yes, the IABot interface is translated via Translatewiki. It seems that the Swedish translation is complete, though.

Thanks and how to activate Swedish?!?!? I guess the URL that is written in the discussion page of the Swedish Wiki should by default make the page be shown in Swedish.....

I tried change my language settings https://tools.wmflabs.org/iabot/index.php?page=userpreferences with no result.....

Cirdan added a comment.Jun 6 2018, 2:18 PM

If I switch to the Swedish Wikipedia using the drop-down in the upper right hand corner, I get the Interface in Swedish:

Salgo60 added a comment.EditedJun 7 2018, 5:17 AM

Thanks Now I get Swedish!!!! but also a message

Incomplete translation: Sorry, but the language you have picked hasn't been fully translated yet. Feel free to help with translations by going to TranslateWiki. In the meantime, untranslated parts of this page will be using the English language.

but if I check on TranslateWiki everything is translated any logic about this?

Has there been any progress regarding the fact that InternetArchiveBot changes links that actually work? That's the first issue. The second issue is that the code {{cbignore}} obviously doesn't do what it was supposed to do.

Hi, and sorry for the delayed response. The reason why {{cbignore}} does nothing on svwiki is because the templates didn't exist when IABot was deployed there and thus never added in the configuration. I have done that now, so it should start having an effect on IABot soon. As for changing the archive link, which is what I assume you are referring to, it is normalizing it, but I don't understand why it's using a different date. That's clearly a bug and should not be happening. The current workaround for this is to either use Cbignore, or change the archive in IABot Management Interface to the snapshot you want to use.

Cyberpower678 added a comment.EditedJun 16 2018, 12:57 PM

Also as for the original question as to whether or not you left the report in the right place, the answer is yes, you did. Phabricator is the official bug reporting tool of the WMF. All Wikipedia bugs are reported here, and major Wikipedia bot operators, like me also reside here as Phabricator makes it really easy for the maintainer to keep track of the bug reports.

The whole purpose of the bug report page on my tool is to make filing the bug report correctly on Phabricator easy. Once you have your account, you stay logged in.

Thanks for the feedback I forwarded your feedback to the Swedish discussion about the bot....

Thanks for the feedback I forwarded your feedback to the Swedish discussion about the bot....

Wow. I was unaware that such a discussion was happening. What is it about?

Vvjjkkii renamed this task from Bot changed a link that works to wjbaaaaaaa.Jul 1 2018, 1:05 AM
Vvjjkkii removed Cyberpower678 as the assignee of this task.
Vvjjkkii triaged this task as High priority.
Vvjjkkii updated the task description. (Show Details)
Green_Cardamom renamed this task from wjbaaaaaaa to Bot changed a link that works.Jul 1 2018, 4:44 AM
Green_Cardamom assigned this task to Cyberpower678.
Green_Cardamom raised the priority of this task from High to Needs Triage.
Green_Cardamom updated the task description. (Show Details)

Well, I guess all that's left in this ticket is to establish why the bot replaced the archive URL with something else.

Cyberpower678 closed this task as Resolved.Aug 17 2018, 1:49 PM