Page MenuHomePhabricator

Move .plainlinks declaration to common stylesheets
Closed, ResolvedPublic



Icons are added to links in skins other than monobook (modern and simple). Ergo, plainlinks needs also to be availalbe in those skins. Ergo, it should be moved from monobook/main.css to common/shared.css.

Version: 1.15.x
Severity: enhancement



Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 21 2014, 10:33 PM
bzimport added a project: MediaWiki-Parser.
bzimport set Reference to bz18708.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

proposals would be:

.plainlinks a {
background: none !important;
padding: 0 !important;

This would however require that the skins set their specificity different. That would need to be tested at least.
Alternative is:

#content .plainlinks a,
#mw_content .plainlinks a {
background: none !important;
padding: 0 !important;

The !important is needed because the assigning of icons actually happens at a LATER time (the skins), and would thus override this "global" class. wrote:

Moves .plainlinks to common stylesheets

The !important declarations are *not* required, only that the override has a higher specificity than the original asignations. Simply adding "div#ID" will work.

Patch, tested on FF3; no reason I'm aware of why it shouldn't work in anything capable of adding the icons in the first place. The patch *itself* might be dodgy; I've got a huge amount of stuff going on on my svn checkout ATM, so it was cut-and-pasted together from a couple of different diffs, with irrelevant bits cut out. It should apply, though. The *content* of the changes has been tested.


I just realized that both the old and the patched way don't define plainlinks for print.. wrote:

But that's a separate issue; as Derk notes, both the old and new code has the problem, so it's not a regression. It should definitely be *fixed* (by adding the same declaration to CommonPrint.css) but that doesn't affect the ease-of-resolution of *this* bug.

This revision should probably be added to acaifix and wmf-deployment