What has happened so far
- There was a WMF consultation which took place about updating Wikipedia from CC BY-SA 3.0 to CC BY-SA 4.0 https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_use/Creative_Commons_4.0
- The WMF Board of Trustees discussed it https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2016-11-13
- Currently text available under CC BY-SA 4.0 cannot be added to Wikipedia because it is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0. However 3.0 text can be added to a 4.0 work.
- Difference between 3.0 and 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/version4/#:~:text=Version%203.0%20included%20a%20provision,verbatim%20reproductions%20of%20a%20work
- WMF Legal: Would changing the license be done on all Wikimedia projects at once? Or could projects be changed independently of each other?
- WMF Legal: Who would make this decision, the WMF board?
- WMF Legal: What steps would need to be taken to make this change?
- General: What was the process last time Wikimedia changed its license? Is the same process applicable this time?