Rather than a MobileFrontend specific solution (which moving away from that was the whole point of T111833) I suggest we update the logic in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/g/mediawiki/core/+/12dbaa863859bd3874f47c2b8107e10c42bb7697/includes/skins/Skin.php#2504 to always show the license and use CSS to hide it (a page-redlink class on the body seems like a helpful thing to have)
Alternatively, we should output this configuration in core so things other than MobileFrontend can use it.
This is not a bug then. The whole point of the changes in MobileFrontend was to defer to editors for this change.
I've fixed Wikinews with this edit:
Perhaps all that is needed here, is updating documentation/release notes around the new way to set licenses for the mobile editor.