Name: Amey Gupta
IRC nickname on libera.chat IRC : Amey1619
Email ID: email@example.com
Zulip: AMEY Gupta
Location: New Delhi, India
Timezone: IST (UTC + 5:30)
Typical working hours : Working hours : - UTC 10:30 AM to UTC 5:30 PM [IST 4:00 PM to IST 11:00 PM].
Wikipedia is an online open-source encyclopedia that offers a vast sea of knowledge but behind its success the main reason is the Wikipedians who give there best effort to edit these article and provide us with these informative articles. The goal of this project is to help these Wikipedians by creating a simpler and more efficient version of making an "Edit Request" so that anyone from all over the world can submit an edit request for any article easily. This project will aim at redesigning process of making an edit request so that any interested individual can create good edits without worrying about the set of rules and regulations. The main focus of this project will be at providing high quality guidance , error handling and a more user friendly interface for beginners for making a edit request . At the end this project will help the Wikipedia to attract more and more good editors in submitting their edit request. Thus, satisfying the goal of Wikipedia that "Everyone can edit" .
Have you contacted your mentors already? Yes, I have contacted the Mentors.
|May 20 to June 12||Community bonding period: Focus will be on designing a mock-up UI and learning the basics of the project (like user script and mediawiki API) and discussing the project with mentors and familiarizing with the community.|
|June 13 to June 20||Summarizing the rules of making an edit request and Redesigning the page that stores information about edits .|
|June 20 to June 27||Developing a feature that inform the user about their edit request|
|June 28 to July 8||Working on a feature that helps in identifying errors and rectifying it and try to simplify the process.|
|July 9 to July 16||Developing and testing the form to take input for the source.|
|July 17 to July 28||Fixing up patches and bugs and testing the codebase for the same.|
|July 29||Phase 1 Evaluation.|
|July 30 to August 6||Doing research on source (URL,ISBN) validation for better implementation.|
|August 7 to August 13||Adding source validation part and developing backend for the same.|
|August 14 to August 21||Working on implementing quotations and its validation (i.e. coming from source).|
|August 22 to September 1||Adding final submit buttons and testing up the entire project .|
|September 2 to September 4||Preparing up final report, Fixing-up bugs and cleaning up code for submission.|
|September 5 to September 12||Final week Submitting the final code for mentors reviewing|
|September 13 to September 19||Evaluation by the mentors|
|September 20||Initial GSOC 2022 Results Announced|
- A few days have been left around final evaluation periods for final touch-ups and preparations for evaluation submissions.
- Summarizing the rules and policies of making edit request
- A feature that automatically inform the maintainer about the specific edit request and also the editor of that page
- Redesigning the page that stores information about the edits made on any article
- Developing pop-up for displaying error while making edit request
- Guiding user in rectifying those errors
- Developing a 'hint' icon button on every step to avoid confusion
- Implementing a form to input source
Phase 1 Evaluation
- Developing an input form for source
- Working on invalid source handling
- Implementing a form to input quote
- Checking if quote comes from valid source
- Documentation and fixing bugs
- I will be making a git repo with- main and master branches and will be committing code to the master branch daily after it is reviewed by mentors .
- I will be creating pull requests when a feature would be ready to be tested and deployed .
- Reachable anytime easily through email\Zulip. A well planned session if required: - UTC 9:30 AM to UTC 5:30 PM [IST 3:00 PM to IST 11:00 PM].
- Feedback and code reviews can be done through Phabricator by commenting on the appropriate subtask
- I will be writing weekly reports on the progress on the meta wiki. User page
- I also plan on writing a small blog about every task after its completion on my blog. Profile
I am a 20-year-old, junior enrolled in Information Technology at Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Sonipat. I developed a passion for development in my freshmen year and from then, most of my time goes into reading and writing software. I came to know about GSOC at the end of my freshmen year and also the importance of open source contribution in Tech world.
My End-semester exams will be from May 18 to May 30 and during this time I will be less active for community bonding , but I am sure that I will still be able to give at least 30 hours a week to this project .I am not planning any vacations during the GSOC period. My summer vacations begin on the 31th of May and end on the 2nd of August during which I’ll be completely free to work on the project. The coding period of GSOC will be from 13th of June to the 4th of September during which I can easily devote 40 hours per week and 30 hours per week after my college reopens. I plan to complete most of my work before my college reopens .
Why am I interested in "Edit Request Wizard" project of Wikimedia ?
The "Edit Request wizard" is a crucial way of maintaining and improving the quality of Wikipedia articles as anyone from anywhere can edit these article. Which make it a true open-source project . This project will make editing more accessible for people from all backgrounds thus helping Wikipedia to achieve it goal to make easy for anyone to become a editor. Moreover, I have experience in working with Front-end (HTML/CSS/JS) , ReactJS , PHP and Python. Due to which I believe I’ll be a very good fit for accomplishing the primary goals for the projects statements.
*This is my First time contribution to open source and I am applying for GSOC so I am hoping to make a positive impact through it for beginners at Wikipedia by helping them in making their first edit request.
- I worked on ‘Algorithm Visualizer' which is a free of cost website that provides you a platform to learn pathfinding algorithm with help of visual animations and provides you with an innovative and interesting way to learn Coding. It was a (HTML/CSS/JS) project developed by me and my teammates and I worked on the front-end and maze building function of the project. This project taught me how to work in team and how to meet up to deadline.
- You can also check my project here. Project
- Also created a todos-list using a reactJS In which I applied text validation. Project
- I have a created a travel form in which a student can apply for school trip It stores there data with the help of PHP and Xampp server. Project
- Also created a python bot can take verbal command and process them and sends email using those commands. Project
In this microtask I have explained about Procedure of making an edit request ,the hardest part of making edit in Wikipedia and some changes in "Edit Request" and how we can achieve them.
I have designed a mockup UI of the source submission form. The design is made on figma, I have tried to keep the design similar to the original design of the Wikipedia Page. I have also described about source validation part above. Input_source_design
You can notice that the form does not allow any whitespaces, empty spaces and the entered text must only be alphanumeric.
Above , is the given code which I used for validation. For checking that the quote comes from a valid source . We first have to work on source Validation and link the Quotation form after it. The user can submit Quote only after he cited an valid source.
For This task I developed a simple code using python which check the validation of URL in 4 stages that is
- It check if URL is submitted is not an empty string.
- It check if URL follow the https://www.example.com/ or http://www.example.com or any other format, through the help of regex expression
- It also avoid google search results and any results from Facebook also.
- I also developed a function which automatically avoid invalid URL by using requests method of python. It will send a get request for the entered URL and check if status code (function of python) returns the value  for entered website so it will be a valid website. For example:
Note that after I changed the URL form https://github.com/Amey1619 to https://github.com/Amey2002/ it is showing an Invalid URL as output. After some modification to this code, it can integrate to source citation and be used for URL validation. It can also be integrated with front-end and show some alert message to the user about the source being valid or not.
Post Gsoc Involvement
I would like to continue being an active member of the organization. There will still be a lot of prospective work that’ll be necessary to be accomplished. Some of the issues are mentioned here,
- an interface to show these edit requests to experienced editors as they read the article
- an interface for the general public to express feedback on these edit requests (as a "safety valve") moderation interfaces
- interfaces to supervise the process (for example, to see URLs that have recently been disallowed by an automated process)
I would like to stay in touch with the community and help out wherever I can, post GSoC .