Things available to Render on the Toolserver which are needed for a transition to WikiLabs/ToolLabs
- Database access like currently on the Toolserver
- Possibility to build and run C and C++ apps
- Possibility to build external C and C++ libraries (app dependencies) from source and install in user directory, without packaging
- 64-Bit OS for sufficient address space
- ~28GB ''physical'' RAM (comparable to ortelius)
- CPU with at least 4 cores with at least 3 GHz, which can actually be used in parallel (comparable to ortelius)
- We need to keep large amounts of data available in RAM. Regenerating it is expensive so we need a server with good uptimes. A VM or server which reboots or needs to be re-setup every month or so is not acceptable.
- Ideally, we need to use a physical machine like we currently can. It is not yet clear whether a VM will do.
"Render is a special case that will need direct attention -- Silke will coordinate the necessary information exchange." - Marc Pelletier, 28 March 2013 (UTC)