As a community or team member, I want to know if Media Viewer is useful or not for the majority of users, so that we can determine together whether or not to keep it enabled by default on sites where it is being challenged (e.g. English Wikipedia).
For discussion purposes, we are starting with this epic story, which will be broken down into individual stories for each task below, based on team and community feedback.
We already have separate tickets for these two features:
- Provide a Viewing Options Panel ( #787 ) , asking users to either opt-in or opt-out of Media Viewer (under development).
- Display daily user selections in our current<a href="http://multimedia-metrics.wmflabs.org/dashboards/mmv#opt_in_and_opt_out-graphs-tab"> opt-in/outdashboard </a>( #675 and #735 ), which should work with the Viewing Options Panel (completed).
- Each time a user clicks 'Save', log their action as either 'enabled' or 'disabled' in EventLogging , with a time-stamp and site ID, for further analysis.
- For logged-in users ,change their preference toeither 'enabled' or 'disabled' (until they make a choice, their preference will be 'default').
- For logged-out users ,set their Media Viewer cookie toeither 'enabled' or 'disabled'(' local settings ' may be used instead of a cookie).
- Determine total visitors for each site, separate them between logged-in and logged-out users (either by logging enabled/disabled state on some specified event/action -- page load? thumbnail click? first site visit of the day? -- or through some other method to be recommended by the analytics team) and store this daily total.
- Develop logged-in user dashboards , using preferences data
- Develop logged-out user dashboards , using cookie-based EventLogging data.
- For each user group, develop a daily percentagedashboard of'enabled' or 'disabled'users, globally and for each site (with total visitors as the denominator)
- Consider a cumulative percentage dashboard for each site, as time allows -- or provide an easy way to collect that cumulative data without having to calculate it manually each time.
- If feasible, also develop a combined cumulative percentage dashboard showing totals for both logged-in and logged-out users.
- (optional) Develop daily events and percentage dashboards, showing the number of 'default' users who haven't made a selection yet, against 'enabled' and 'disabled' users.
- #787 Viewing Options Panel
- #704 Opt-out for anons on Media Viewer
- #703 Easy opt-out for registered users
- #264 User opt-out for disabling Media Viewer
- #675 Track Media Viewer Opt-outs - Dashboards
- #735 Track Media Viewer Opt-outs - automate ratio SQL query