I just copied a simple table from an external website into a VE edit.
Inside the edit mode it looked perfect :-) However, when I saved the edit and viewed my changes, the first column was broken. I imported the same table again, saved, and the same problem. I then simply added " |- " between the header descriptions and the first column of content, and it worked fine. So, this bug is both about why the pipe for the first column wasn't there automatically, and also, why this table displayed correctly in VE but differently once it saved.
The original table is here:
search for "Senate Quotas Ready Reckoner" at http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2016/06/2016-senate-calculators.html
The Diff of the edit that I first saved is here:
(the only change I made to the table was to remove the "caption". Otherwise, this is the code that was automatically created).
And the diff of the very simple fix I made in code-editor to make the table work properly once I noticed the problem: