Split from comments on T129366: List wikis and pages with unread notifications in the Notification Page left nav
According to the specs the side panel should sort
- pages alphabetically
- user/user talk pages override alphabetical sorting and should be placed on top of of the list
- user/user talk pages should have a user icon.
These are summarized in the following quote from T129366: List wikis and pages with unread notifications in the Notification Page left nav.
From the list of pages, the user page (and user talk page) are represented with a user icon, and placed at the top of the list (unlike the other items which are ordered alphabetically).
- The list of pages is not sorted alphabetically - the sort order is based on the number of unread messages (as the first criteria) and the most recent timestamp (as the second criteria). Thus, 'Zmevetuna' in the screenshot below is placed before 'Mevetuna' even though they have the same number of msgs, but 'Zmevetuna' msg has the most recent timestamp.
- User pages are not automatically placed at the top of the list. It's illustrated in the above screenshot; the screenshot below is another example of user page/user talk page not given the priority in sorting.
- all messages display the same icon (the article icon).