Currently the notification panel provides a way to view notifications from other wikis. However, when the user access the "all notifications" link, there is no information from other wikis.
In order to surface this activity, we can provide a list of the wikis with unread notifications and the pages for which there are unread notifications (including always the current wiki).
This is intended to act as a Table of Contents, helping to easily access a subset of the information, but more importantly providing an overview on the topics that got more activity (and may require more attention) at a glance. As opposed to advance filtering or search, this does not require the user to know what to look for in advance, which facilitates discovery.
The mockup below illustrate the contents overview (on the left side):
This prototype can be useful to illustrate how filters interact with each other (but several layout and copy changes have been made to the designs since, so don't rely on the prototype as a reference for that).
- The list of wikis displays the current wiki on top (selected by default) and lists other wikis based on the number of unread notifications they have.
- Only wikis with unread notifications are shown. The current wiki is the exception which is always shown even if there are no notifications there. In this case, the item is displayed in a lighter text:
- If there are no unread notifications in any wiki, the current wiki will still be shown:
- If there are notifications but none is displayed because of the current selection of filters, an empty state is shown with an action to reset the filters (showing "all" notifications for the current wiki) as the suggested next step:
- For the case where the local wiki has no notifications at all (which is a rare edge case), the "view all notifications" action won't be shown:
- For each wiki listed, a list of the pages for which there are unread notifications is provided. The concept of "page" is broad and ignores the concept of namespace (presenting together the multiple dimensions of a topic, from content to talk). The items with more unread notifications are displayed on top.
- From the list of pages, the user page (and user talk page) are represented with a user icon, and placed at the top of the list (unlike the other items which are ordered alphabetical).
- Filter items are cropped based on the available width and hovering over them will show tooltips with the full title. If we find out there is not enough room for common cases we can consider items to wrap to more lines later.