Page MenuHomePhabricator

Parameters are sometimes(?) being rearranged randomly instead of following the expected order, defined in TemplateData
Closed, ResolvedPublic0 Estimate Story Points

Description

See https://ru.wikipedia.org/?diff=81786938&oldid=prev where the parameters have been rearranged to be alphabetical.

The TemplateData for this template is at the very end of this page: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Шаблон:Карточка_компании There was no paramOrder section in the TemplateData when this edit was made.

(Originally reported at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Tf9ljw5nuxwo8os1).

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a project: VisualEditor. · View Herald TranscriptNov 15 2016, 3:42 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald Transcript
Jdforrester-WMF closed this task as Invalid.Nov 15 2016, 8:12 PM
Jdforrester-WMF added a subscriber: Jdforrester-WMF.

I think this is "just" because the TemplateData is so old it didn't have a paramOrder section (it does now), and Parsoid alphabetises it if there's no section. Note that you may need to do a null edit on the template to bring up the adjusted TemplateData from the /doc page to see that this works.

Sunpriat reopened this task as Open.Nov 15 2016, 8:27 PM

No. Example https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Шаблон:Карточка_компании
I added paramOrder https://ru.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Шаблон:Карточка_компании/doc&diff=81890433&oldid=81821672
and updated some description https://ru.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Шаблон:Карточка_компании/doc&diff=next&oldid=81890433
in articles I see the new description -> so the new paramOrder should already work
but try start to edit infobox in https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Группа_ГАЗ
you will see that the two parameter jump up "листинг на бирже" (normal) and "девиз" (deprecated)
and in the article and in the TemplateData parameters are mixed, not alphabetically.

Sunpriat added a comment.EditedNov 15 2016, 8:44 PM

paramOrder doesn't work
paramOrder: "company_name", "company_logo","company_type", "листинг на бирже", "foundation", .... "девиз"
but in VE: "листинг на бирже" "девиз" "company_name", "company_logo","company_type", "foundation", ....

"company_name" - main, in article used "название"-"aliases"
other English also using ru-aliases in article
this paramOrder ignore aliases or something

not in alphabetical order each
in the order in which the recorded but first all Russian-named and then English

MBH added a subscriber: MBH.Nov 16 2016, 1:22 AM

Did you do a null edit on the template (not the /doc subpage)? If not, then it's probably still using the old TemplateData.

I can't reproduce this on enwiki. I wonder if the problem is language/script-specific.

Whatamidoing-WMF added a comment.EditedDec 2 2016, 6:14 PM

This has been reported on enwiki: "Visual editor is rearranging infobox parameters".

Also, it's not alphabetical. It's just wrong.

Whatamidoing-WMF renamed this task from Parameters were alphabetized instead of following the expected order to Parameters were rearranged instead of following the expected order, defined in TemplateData .Dec 2 2016, 6:15 PM
Jdforrester-WMF renamed this task from Parameters were rearranged instead of following the expected order, defined in TemplateData to Parameters are sometimes(?) being rearranged randomly instead of following the expected order, defined in TemplateData .Dec 13 2016, 8:16 PM
Jdforrester-WMF changed the task status from Open to Stalled.
Jdforrester-WMF triaged this task as High priority.

We've got several reports (on different wikis), but no-one can figure out what the cause is yet. :-(

He7d3r added a subscriber: He7d3r.Dec 28 2016, 9:57 AM

Here's another example of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ishqbaaaz&diff=763332980&oldid=763328551
Image formatting parameters being moved to the bottom of the infobox, where someone would *not* expect to find the image formatting parameters. I could be wrong, but this seems to have sprung up recently. I don't recall seeing image formatting parameters moved on enwiki, but I could be wrong.

(This is my first [and probably last] time on Phabricator, so if I did anything stupid, please forgive me.)

Here's another example: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plagiocephaly&type=revision&diff=766696284&oldid=748379791 |name= is the first item in the original wikitext, and the first item in the TemplateData, but it got moved to the middle of the list.

From the same editor: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Treacher_Collins_syndrome&diff=prev&oldid=761584732

Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Keilana&diff=766949456&oldid=766925401 triggering this may require editing the infobox and omitting a "required" parameter (GeneReviewsName, in this case).

I've just added paramOrder to the infobox that was used in both of Keilana's edits, in the hope that this will prevent the problem in practice.

Deskana closed this task as Resolved.Jan 16 2018, 3:12 PM
Deskana claimed this task.
Deskana lowered the priority of this task from High to Medium.
Deskana set the point value for this task to 0.
Deskana added a subscriber: Deskana.

This was probably fixed by the solution to T179259.

Restricted Application added a project: User-Ryasmeen. · View Herald TranscriptJan 16 2018, 3:12 PM