- Paste something like https://www.google.com/search?q="test+Google+search" into one of the old wikitext editors.
- Oh, right, the quotation marks. Where's that page that explains how to fix the quotation marks...
- Never mind. I shouldn't have to look up ASCII codes to put a link on the page. VisualEditor ought to do that magic for me. Open VisualEditor (visual mode).
- Paste in the URL.
- That didn't work either! Argh!
- Okay, let's do this the serious way: Open the link dialog, paste the URL in the box, insert the link, get the link marked as , which is not what I want, open the link dialog *again*, and click 'add a label' to get rid of the  and just have the plain link.
- Finally! It worked! (See picture.)
- Save the page.
- Arrggghghhh! (See picture.)
It looks like it's worked just before saving:
But the saved page is just as broken as the link would be in the old wikitext editors: