Currently, GeoHack is used on all pages with coordinates in production WIkipedia projects, but it is a volunteer labs project.
This is because GeoHack performs important functionality. In general, these are links to other Maps services or other services that display their data in a geographic context.
As Kartographer has improved the feature gap between GeoHack and Kartographer has been closed significantly. The WMF should "prodcutionize" the important GeoHack features in Kartographer and properly support them going forward.
These steps should be taken to complete this task are:
- Perform an IA audit of GeoHack and Kartographer
- Discuss features with Community to to ensure nothing important is missed
- Update Kartographer design to add these missing features
- Implement any important missing features in Kartographer
- Update templates that point at GeoHack and instead link them to Kartographer (involves Community involvement)
See these examples: