Move Serbian language wikis from extra-analysis to extra-analysis-serbian plugin
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

We have improved our ideas about the architecture of new language analyzers we might build into our search/extra and search/extra-analysis projects. Using sub-modules allows us to have one project with shared resources, while building separate plugin releases (as independent .zip files) for deployment. We get the reduced complexity of having fewer projects to maintain, without the added complexity of having to carefully keep track of which version of the parent project we've deployed and whether it contains the new features the updated config code expects. We refactored search/extra and search/extra-analysis-slovak this way before it was deployed.

For search/extra-analysis (which will spawn search/extra-analysis-serbian), it's a little more complex because it's already been deployed for Serbian-language projects. We should figure out the upgrade path before enabling it for Croatian and others (T192395), to make sure we aren't creating extra headaches for ourselves.

Sub-tasks will include:

  • refactoring Serbian extra-analysis plugin into the extra-analysis-serbian submodule
  • deploying extra-analysis-serbian
  • updating the Serbian config to look for extra-analysis-serbian instead of extra-analysis
  • re-indexing Serbian-language wikis. (Probably. It's not clear whether we need to do a full re-index or just switch over the config, since the analysis results will be the same before and after. It may just be easier to re-index because all the necessary bookkeeping is taken care of by that process.)
  • undeploying extra-analysis
TJones created this task.May 3 2018, 1:28 PM
TJones triaged this task as Normal priority.

Change 430505 had a related patch set uploaded (by Tjones; owner: Tjones):
[search/extra-analysis@master] [WIP] Refactor search/extra-analysis into language-specific module

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/430505

TJones moved this task from Backlog to In progress on the Discovery-Search (Current work) board.

Change 430505 merged by Gehel:
[search/extra-analysis@master] Refactor search/extra-analysis into language-specific module

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/430505

TJones added a comment.May 8 2018, 2:10 PM

Excellent! Thanks, @Gehel.

So, do we create subtasks, for the other steps (and should I have made a sub-task for the refactoring?), or just push this back to the backlog for the next step(s)?

Change 432136 had a related patch set uploaded (by DCausse; owner: DCausse):
[operations/software/elasticsearch/plugins@master] Add extra-analysis analyzers as separate plugins

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/432136

Change 432136 merged by Gehel:
[operations/software/elasticsearch/plugins@master] Add extra-analysis analyzers as separate plugins

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/432136

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-05-29T13:19:49Z] <gehel> rolling restart of relforge for plugin upgrade - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-05-29T14:13:14Z] <gehel> comleted rolling restart of relforge for plugin upgrade - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-releng) [2018-05-29T14:25:20Z] <gehel> rolling restart of elasticsearch deployment-prep for plugin upgrade - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-05-30T12:34:21Z] <gehel> starting elasticsearch cluster restart on codfw - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-06-01T15:51:18Z] <gehel> elasticsearch cluster restart on codfw completed - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-06-04T07:11:05Z] <gehel> starting elasticsearch cluster restart on eqiad - T193734

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Petar.petkovic. · View Herald TranscriptJun 4 2018, 7:11 AM

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-06-04T19:10:29Z] <gehel> elasticsearch cluster restart on eqiad completed - T193734

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-06-05T08:10:36Z] <gehel> rebooting elastic10(41|43) for plugin update - T193734

debt closed this task as Resolved.Jun 14 2018, 8:11 PM
Vvjjkkii renamed this task from Move Serbian language wikis from extra-analysis to extra-analysis-serbian plugin to tpdaaaaaaa.Jul 1 2018, 1:12 AM
Vvjjkkii reopened this task as Open.
Vvjjkkii raised the priority of this task from Normal to High.
Vvjjkkii removed TJones as the assignee of this task.
Vvjjkkii updated the task description. (Show Details)
Vvjjkkii removed subscribers: gerritbot, Aklapper.
CommunityTechBot assigned this task to TJones.
CommunityTechBot lowered the priority of this task from High to Normal.
CommunityTechBot closed this task as Resolved.
CommunityTechBot renamed this task from tpdaaaaaaa to Move Serbian language wikis from extra-analysis to extra-analysis-serbian plugin.
CommunityTechBot added subscribers: gerritbot, Aklapper.