There seem to be couple of potential issues with the release planned at T183020:
- The period covered is fairly large (2 months)
- All queries in the period are being released.
- Items used in the query are included in the data being released.
- Approximate coordinates are included in the data being released.
- Given the number of queries being released, it's likely that these can be correlated with individual users.
- Users are invited onwiki to help and share their queries with other users, if they choose so. At no point, they are advised that any queries will be release anyways.
- Users are not advised in advance that such release will take place. Ideally users would be advised before the collecting period.
- Users can't opt out of the planned release, e.g. by using a separate server or server endpoint.
- It's unclear if the data request is consistent with the researcher's organizations policies.
- The research question isn't known (or maybe I missed it). It's unclear if it actually needs the data.
- It's unclear if a published query for specific patterns couldn't be a better formulation of the research question.
Obviously, these issues are less likely to affect users who only use Wikidata Query Server and don't edit Wikipedia or Wikidata. It's also less likely to affect users who don't occasionally or regularly publish queries. Users who only occasionally contribute might less likely be affected.
Given recent issues with data releases by organizations for pseudo-research, this should be looked into it more carefully.