As per emails in 02-03/2018 between James Hare, Srishti and me.
@Aklapper's opinion / understanding:
- Outreach-Programs-Projects and Possible-Tech-Projects should be merged. Both scopes are basically "a task on this workboard should take a newcomer about 3 months".
- The workboard can be used to track the 'readyness' of a task, if it's in a state that we can offer it to a contributor (mentors defined and available? scope / MVP clarified?)
- If we agree on merging, we need to go through the tasks in Possible-Tech-Projects and make sure their scope is really suited for Outreach-Programs-Projects. Remove the Possible-Tech-Projects tag from tasks which will not "take a newcomer about 3 months". If the scope is well defined and ready to draw volunteers, add the patch-welcome tag instead. Additionally, if in scope and a way smaller task, add the good first task tag (but see its project description).
- Outreach-Programs-Projects will only contain projects suitable for GSoC / Outreachy.
- As I dislike the overloaded term "project" ("My 3 month 'project' is to change code in an existing software 'project'"), I'd drop the suffix and rename #Outreach-programs-projectsto #Outreach-programs, as specific tags like #Outreachy_(Round_99) exist already if needed. (If we ever need to track administrative tasks, set up a workboard column on #Outreach-programs or a separate #Outreach-programs-organization project.)
- Possible-Tech-Projects task which are not ready to be advertised they could be in a [default] column on the workboard which could be named like "Not ready/available yet".
- Check project descriptions of Possible-Tech-Projects , Outreach-Programs-Projects , MediaWiki-extension-requests , Technical-Tool-Request and update/correct if needed.
Furthermore, it confuses me that Possible-Tech-Projects has a column called "Featured for GSoC'18/Outreachy'16" while Outreach-Programs-Projects has columns like "Google Summer of Code 2017 + Outreachy Round 14 (featured)" IMHO "Featured for GSoC'18/Outreachy'16" should really be a column on the Outreach-Programs-Projects board instead. Another reason why I propose merging Possible-Tech-Projects and Outreach-Programs-Projects into one project with the scope of "tasks should take a student 3 months, with mentors intended to be available".)