Currently, the quite popular Arrays extension isn't actively maintained and poses some weird behavior, as well as questionable implementation in some cases. Considering this, we should collect all issues in one place and decide what should be done about that afterwards, maybe leading to an Arrays 3.0 release.
While the parser behavior should't radically change, I think virtually everything should be up to discussion here, especially removing obsolete features and doing backwards incompatible changes if necessary.
List of suggestions (most of these should probably become tasks sooner or later):
- This extension should have one or two active maintainers
- Add a maintenance script to do most incompatible changes
- Add further parser tests
- Behavior changes
- Drop this ugly options parameter and use named params instead
- Ignore empty values at beginning and end of arrays
- Add option to remove empty values from arrays
- Stop unique from removing empty values from arrays
- Handle multibyte values properly
- Feature requests
- Removing old behavior
- Deprecating and removing Compatibility mode, as it makes code messy and development harder
- is horrible and basically hasn't changed since 2009
- should be clear and on a subpage (Help:Extension:Arrays)
- isn't localized
- Create vagrant role
- Update coding style
List of people interested in modernizing this extension
- @MGChecker - some experience with PHP arrays and with page state parser function extensions. I could be a maintainer if we find noone better suited.