This bug was first reported in Janurary 2019 at English Scriptorium
If a page is previewed multiple times, you can end up with large amounts of whitespace at the bottom, which is annoying. This didn't used to happen either.
I looked over the changes to ProofreadPage before then and these looked like they might be relevant, but IDK:
Steps to Reproduce:
- go to a page in the Page: namespace e.g. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Sandbox.djvu/9
- edit it using the source editor (I have not check if this is a problem also in VE)
- remove all trailing whitespace from the header, body and footer
- preview the page
- observe, a newline has been appended to each section (this should not happen)
- preview again
- observe, extra newlines have again been added to the body and the footer
- remove the extra newlines and click "show changes"
- note newlines have again been appended
- remove the newlines, make a non-whitespace change and save
- edit the again, and note the appended newlines