I sometimes find requests from newly created wikis for help with setting up AbuseFilter rules on that wiki.
Recent example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Creating_an_Abuse_filter (and static permalink)
So I'm wondering which specific docs to point to (and if docs might welcome some improvements).
Is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Edit_filter/Requested the best place these days, or are there better places?
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter#Creating_and_managing_filters is probably the most relevant starting point for Wikimedia site admins?
- Might welcome a basic high-level explanation for newcomers, like "You define rules, and you define actions. When these rules match, these actions are executed" or such? (If those terms are correct and consistent.) I admit the AbuseFilter UI confuses me as a newcomer but I also guess that is unavoidable with such a complex tool...
- Wondering if the "To import filters from Wikipedia" part requires specific account permissions on both wikis? (Should probably say "from another wiki", as I also find AbuseFilter on non-Wikipedia sites?)
Should https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter/Global really be linked here? If I understand correctly, that does nor seem to be relevant for Wikimedia community members, but for administrators who manage their own MediaWiki installations?
- Special:AbuseFilter lists all existing AbuseFilters on a wiki
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AbuseFilter/Rules_format documents the format of rules.
- Special:AbuseFilter/tools allows to test expressions (which are the criteria applied for rules) but is only linked in two places and not very discoverable, it seems.