Name : Neelima Mohanty
Time zone : UTC +5:30
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Github : https://github.com/neelimagoogly
Media Wiki username : Neelimagoogly
Location : Bhubaneswar,Odisha,India
Working hours : Between 6pm to 8am UTC+5:30
Edit Request Wizard is a project that aims to create a step-by-step form to help beginners submit a Wikipedia edit request along with the following features :
- The form would allow the user to provide a source that should be reliable.
- It will prevent the user from submitting obviously invalid quotes and also check if it is a part of source provided.
- Designing a Wikipedia user script that shows a form for submitting a Wikipedia edit request, with high-quality guidance and error messages, suitable for use by beginners and a backend server that the user script will make calls to, for checking websites and other purposes.
After the project, it would become very easy as well as accessible for beginners from all backgrounds to submit their first edit requests.
Also as beginners find it difficult to follow the rules of Wikipedia while making edits , this project would guide them in doing so efficiently.
|May 20 to June 12||Community Bonding period : Designing the UI for the of the form required for the process of editing . Designing UI mockups for it.|
|June 13 to July 3||Implementing the designed mockup in code as a web form along with establishing a validation check for the source.This would display a feedback whether the source provided by the user is reliable or not.|
|July 4 to July 25||Focusing on creation and improvement of the quote area and enable the feature of displaying feedback for obviously invalid quotes(I have already solved this issue to disable the user from entering an empty string in one of the microtasks).|
|July 25 to July 29||Phase I evaluation|
|July 29 to August 4||Responsive webpage design for validating the source URL(requires more research and investigation).|
|August 5 to August 11||Implementation of the URL validation process in the web form and developing its backend.|
|August 12||Phase II evaluation|
|August 13 to August 19||Designing the user script of the form for submitting a Wikimedia edit request along with the frontend and backend behind its high quality guidance and error messages.|
|August 20 to August 27||A backend server that the user scripts will make calls to for checking websites and other purposes.Also if time permits I would like to complete the stretch goals of this project.|
|August 28 to September 4||Bug fixes, Writing documentation and code cleanup for submission.|
|September 5 to September 12||Submission of final work and final mentor evaluation.|
|September 12 to September 19||Mentors submit final GSoC contributor evaluations.|
|September 20||Results of Google Summer of Code 2022 announced.|
• A well designed Mock-up for the web form of ‘Edit Request Wizard’.
• Implementing a validation and reliability check on the source area .
• Text area for quotes and enabling the feature of displaying feedback for obviously invalid quotes.
Phase I evaluation
• Responsive webpage design for validating the source URL.
• URL validation process in the web form and developing its backend.
Phase II evaluation
• Designing the user script of the form for submitting a Wikimedia edit request along with the frontend and backend behind its high quality guidance and error messages.
• A backend server that the user scripts will make calls to for checking websites and other purposes.
• an interface to show these edit requests to experienced editors as they read the article
and interface for the general public to express feedback on these edit requests .
• Bug fixing and writing documentation.
• I will create a git repo with two branches – main and master and will upload code to master branch on a daily basis after it gets reviewed by the mentor.
• Tasks related communication will be through comments on subtasks to the project created on Phabricator.
• Reports will be published in my meta wiki user page every week.
- I can be contacted at any time via Wikimedia's Zulip server.
Currently , I am in the freshman year (1st year) of B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering in Odisha University of Technology and Research,Bhubaneswar,Odisha.I had secured 97% marks in Computer Science subject in my 12th board exam at school and web development is one of my favourite subtopics.
My Time Commitments
The odd semester exams will get over by April 2nd week and the even semester will start from the third week of April . But I will have enough time to contribute to the project as there will be no exams during that period.
Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
I am applying for both GSOC-22 and Outreachy with the same project.This is my first participation in GSOC.Also , I like to work in collaboration along with interaction with the open source community.
What does making this project happen mean to you?
Since childhood till today,I have been referring Wikipedia articles for my school and University assignments and have also come across some articles which I wished to edit but while editing them (one of them has been mentioned by me in the microtasks), I had to follow Wikipedia rules .According to me the already existing Editing process requires simplification of the pathway and improvement of the form UI.
I am really interested in contributing for the Wikimedia Foundation and create an hassle free and efficient ‘Edit Request Wizard’ for the people of the world who like me , are dependent on the world’s largest free encyclopedia for their work . This would definitely help the beginners to edit Wikipedia articles without any difficulty and make the content more rich and organised and I will be happy if I can make this project successful.
Plant Nursery Website
- Known as Med herb plant nursery website.
- Its a E-Commerce website
- Deployed at https://neelimagoogly.github.io/ons.github.io/
• Created a Todo-List web form using frontend skills and Django framework as backend.
Todo List Website
- A form for tasks to filled by users and a todo list table.
- A backend server where the admins can make changes to the todo list table
• I like to participate in Hackathons and have recently made a project.
- It is a sliding puzzle game consisting of picture puzzles of maps of the world and the seven continents.
- 'Mappuzzle' features include: -->Dark and Light Mode versions of the app ,Audio mute options and Vibrations on / off mode .
Open Source Contributions
• I have also made contributions to an open source project codeisscience/journal-policy-tracker-frontend and the contributions are listed below.
• Learned Interface design skills while performing the microtasks.
• Did a lot of research on the Wikimedia User Script and Media Wiki Action API.
• Also , I have been selected as a member of the Women Techmakers Community .
I have successfully completed 5 microtasks.
Microtasks performed are listed below
Click here to see Microtask 1
Click here to see Microtask 2
Click here to see Microtask 3
Click here to see Microtask 4
Click here to see Microtask 5
Summary of Microtasks