Page MenuHomePhabricator

Second round of usability testing with
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Assigned To
Authored By
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
Referenced Files
F35204762: Open first thread.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204760: background color.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204766: New comment text.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204773: Subscribed to topic.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204768: Half screen new topic.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204771: More menu half.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM
F35204764: Search 'primate'.png
Jun 3 2022, 11:08 PM


Why are we doing this?

To test early native talk page designs via a Figma prototype with new contributors. The participants were asked to:

  • Open a topic
  • Find a work in the page by using ‘find in page’ action
  • Reply to a comment
  • Create a new topic
  • Open all threads
  • Subscribe to a topic

The goal was to test whether participants...

  • Understand the content of the page
  • Test the basic usability of talk pages
  • Give feedback on the UI

Planning document

Testing plan

This test will be for new Wikipedia contributors. At least 5 users will be recruited via where the sessions will be recorded.
The test will be remote, unmoderated, and task-based. Participants will be given 10-15 minutes to complete tasks and make decisions about the designs. They will be provided with a link a Figma prototype where they will be able to view the designs and complete some basic tasks.

Overview of the designs

Topics pageOpen topicFind in pageReply to a commentCreate new topicOpen all threadsSubscribe to a topic
background color.png (913×375 px, 58 KB)
Open first thread.png (812×375 px, 65 KB)
Search 'primate'.png (812×375 px, 47 KB)
New comment text.png (812×375 px, 45 KB)
Half screen new topic.png (812×415 px, 58 KB)
More menu half.png (812×375 px, 50 KB)
Subscribed to topic.png (812×375 px, 68 KB)

The participants will be able to complete this test either on their on their desktop. There will be 3 screener questions for this group of testers:

  1. Do you use an iOS device?
  2. Have you ever used the Wikipedia mobile app before (either on Android or iOS)?
  3. How often do you use Wikipedia (either on the web or in the app)?

A total of 6 participants completed the test.

😀 100% of the participants understood the use of the speech bubble icon in each topic cell.
😀 100% of the participants found that the topic page was easy to find and understand.
😀 100% of the participants successfully opened a topic, used find in page, replied to a comment, created a new topic and subscribed to a topic.

😕 67% of the participants understood the use of the avatar icon in each topic cell. The other 33% assumed that the avatar icon indicated how many people have seen the comments.
😕 33% of participants thought that the topics were organized by time and date, 16% thought they were organized by the number of participants and the rest of the participants glanced quickly over the question.
😕 33% of the participants were not sure that the three dots would lead to the ‘more menu’ but assumed that it might. Once they were directed to click on it, they said that the task was easy to complete.

😔 50% of participants wished for a greater visual distinction between the different topics.
😔 16% of participants wished for more distinctive UI to indicate who is responding to whom in the comments.
😔 16% of participants expected to find the ‘open all threads’ underneath the header of the page rather than in the ‘more menu’.


Previous usability testing:

Additional research and resources