I can confirm that the sites table is empty in the stock Docker image, and that running /var/www/html/extensions/Wikibase/lib/maintenance/populateSitesTable.php populates the Wikipedia links boxes for the items I had imported from Wikidata.
Nov 27 2018
Nov 20 2018
At this point I would recommend looking at https://github.com/dbs/wikibase-docker/tree/wikibase-1.31 - I started again from current master. Much cleaner.
Nov 19 2018
Ah, the square metre and square kilometre issue have been known for a couple of years now: https://github.com/filbertkm/WikibaseImport/issues/16
I reproduced this problem on a fresh Wikibase 1.31 Docker image. The end of my first attempt showed:
Nov 4 2018
git has been bumped in alpine:3.7 to git-2.15.3-r0, that's the source of the current problem. So it could be resolved by shifting to:
Thanks @Addshore but I'm trying to work on the 1.31 Wikibase images again, and as those aren't available on Docker hub yet, I need to build them myself. I'll poke at the dependencies to see if I can come up with a fix similar to how other dependencies were made a little more flexible in commit 517af99b9fbc5440
Jul 20 2018
Commit aca952fca15220e5bb39bad6fac76ec43c86be2f switches the fetch method to git and uses "git submodule update --init" to populate the required branches. Things seem to be working based on my early investigations!
Jul 18 2018
Hi, I ran into this problem over the last few days trying to subscribe to wikidata-tech while on the eduroam network (my public IP address of 126.96.36.199).